The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
xratt

Finally, a small junk yard find

I never get lucky in junk yards anymore. I mean with cool finds and such. So, I'm in the search for a S-10 rearend for my 1966 C-10. Since the last one I bought got stolen. My fault for not having a garage. Anyway, Cruzing though the trucks section, spotted 2 mid 60's truck frames. Cool, nothing I can use. But neat to study how stock stuff goes together. As I'm about finished, not finding the rearend I want. I spot a 65' C-20 cab and frame with wheels. No drive train, bed, drivers door, or hood. So I'm studing it, and notice the heater core and fan motor set up is all there. So I dismantle it to check the condition of the heater core. It looked good, so I snatched it up (the one in my truck leaks) $10. While unbolting the heater system inside the cab, I noticed these vent flaps on the kick panels under the dash. I have never seen these before. My truck has carpet glued over these holes. Then when I drive, leaves blow in my floor boards. Drives me nuts. So I see these flaps with little handles to open and close then and a little track that holds it part way open it or all the way open. I had light bulbs going off. A few screws and I had them out. Both have some rust, one has a few holes rusted all the way through it. But still a score. This may seem minor to most people, But for me it was a score. Left the junk yard with heater core and air vent flaps for $18, $2 I will get back if I return my old heater core. Just had to share my little light bulb moment. Guess it does not take much to make me smile.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...9&goto=newpost
xratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Finally, a small junk yard find

Any time you come home with a "find" it was a great trip. Same thing goes for swap meets as junk yards.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
jocko

someone actually STOLE your rearend... Unbelieveable. Sure you left it out - but it's not exactly an easy thing to just "carry off"... They must have come prepared.

Reminds me of when I used to keep an old impala in storage in Indiana, some jarkarse came in with a tow truck, hooked chains to all the storage facilitiy garage doors and just yanked them off the rails - then stole everything they could. Luckily I had a double kill switch sys and they never figured it out - and even more luckily, they didn't stop to vandalize it. I was lucky. Sometimes humans just piss ya right off.

Sorry bout yer rear end - glad you found some goodies today.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
xratt

yeah, sucks having your junk ripped off. I don't live in the best area, near downtown. Some jerks cashed that rearend for scrap metal. It was a full size rear end from a 1980's C-10. Just lost out $100, no big deal right, oh yeah, I'm broke. Now, I'm looking for a S-10 rear end. Just have to find one with the gear ratio I like.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
tonythezeek

Where did you find a junk yard in Jax that has vehicle older than 20 years old? I've been looking for odds and ends and most of the places I go to only go as far back as the 80s.
tonythezeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
rightwingdave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xratt View Post
Guess it does not take much to make me smile.
That's a good way to be.

It's a good thing when you can appreciate the little things that go your way.

p.s. 41 more months and I will be your neighbor. I'm moving to J-Ville when I turn 50.
rightwingdave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
xratt

It is rare to find anything old in Jacksonville junk yards anymore. The two frames and the C-20 cab are at pull your part on Normandy Blvd. That junk yard seem to crush a lot of cars. Sucks, I'm seen some good stuff get hauled away. Sad. It's funny, standing in the junk yard working on this truck, I had 3 or 4 guys stop and give me thier history with old Chevy trucks. One guy even tested my knowledge of old trucks. Quizzing me, made me laugh, and feel lucky to own one.

There seems to be a bunch of old car and old truck people in Jacksonville. But I don't seem to know many of them. I am lucky to have found this site a few years ago, which helped me build my truck. There are lots of parking lot shows around here. We should plan a meet up some time. Even if we wait a few months, after the 50th Birthday party, lol. I always try a make Daytona twice a year (Turkey Day, and Spring Fling). I missed Billetproof this year, due to a VW Show the same day. So, there are tons of stuff to do in and around Jacksonville with old car and trucks. Except find cool stuff in junk yards.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
tonythezeek

LOL. Agreed! When I first came to Jax, it was in my 62. It was very cool because anytime I would fill up, at least two people would comment about the truck. Unfortunately, the love and enthusiasm did not extend to some of the local repair shops because no matter what I told the service people (like there is a 350 that's stroked out to a 383), they would always goto their computers and punch up parts for a 62 ...and the parts that were needed were always wrong. Long story short, a few go arounds with incorrect parts resulted in serious engine failure and a broken heart. Luckily, that was some 5 years ago and another engine later ...currently working on bring her back from the ashes. My goal is to at least get her rolling for Turkey Run this year.

It's funny you should mention the parking lot car shows because every time I find one, I'm either pressed for time or have other engagements. Would love to catch up with ya some time!
tonythezeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
66 lwb cs

Good deal not much left in the junk yards around here all new stuff