The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
jocko

Two T5 questions (clutch/flywheel - and - aftermarket shifters)

Currently workin the parts list for a T5 trans swap.

#1 Have read that an astro van clutch is a great one to use - and read somewhere that it was a 10.5" clutch, but when I search, I only find 11 inchers. Has correct 14 spline clutch disk though.

Anyone know if the 11" clutch from a late 80's early 90's Astro van will work in this swap? (I'm assuming all 66 truck flywheels were 168 tooth and can manage an 11" clutch - AND assuming that an 11" clutch will actually fit in the stock bell hsg.) Big assumptions - but figured someone on here would probably know!

Here's an Oreilly's clutch kit (man o man I don't recall them being THIS expensive back in the day....)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1351&ppt=C0015

#2 The shifter that came on the trans i picked up is waaaay sloppy, so going to replace it. I will be swapping on a 16" stick to any shifter anyway - so was wondering if all the shifters that fit a T5 were actually interchangeable - seems to me they ALL have the same stock guts in the factory shifter mechanism (i.e. the tailshaft side of the equation). So, for instance - does an aftermarket shifter for a Moostang work on any T5? Again, remember I'll be replacing the stick anyway.

Was initially leaning toward a flat Hurst stick (and for some reason, I just gotta have the ol vanilla ball knob like I've had in the past...) but I've found a nice Lokar for T5's that is 16.5" available in single or double bend. It's a round cross section, so can use it with a stock looking shifter boot. all part of the master plan to be able to swap out an old fashioned flat black stick with a doorknob shifter or something like that, which to me would not look very good with a square rubber/chrome hurst shifter boot. So going with a round stick gives me the option to swap without having to drill more holes in the floor in the future because the round boot will work with the gennie lookin one as well as the Lokar.

Thanks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Two T5 questions (clutch/flywheel - and - aftermarket shifters)

jocko, I don't know if any of this helps. Info I've collected for a while now. I've had a t5 sitting in my garage floor waiting to go into my 64 for a few years now. It's a "one-of-these-days" kinda project.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ADD-716104/
http://www.mongosgarage.com/tech/t5/index.htm
http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm
http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/
and of course I'm sure you've seen the write-up by brad in the engine & driveline section of this forum....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
jimmydean

Brad did a great write up. He brought his truck by just after he finished it and it worked out awesome in his rig.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
ob1monkey

I have a t-5 in my 66, I used a clutch from a 79 Chevy c20 equipped with a 400 small block. After days searching for a 26 spline 11inch clutch I came across this in a clutch manual at advance auto parts. It fits perfectly in the stock bell housing and bolted right up. as for the shifter I would say yes they are the same. I have seen many gm and ford t-5's the two major differences are the ford is straight up, Camaros are on a tilt to one side and the ford bolts to the bell housing different I believe.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1monkey View Post
I have a t-5 in my 66, I used a clutch from a 79 Chevy c20 equipped with a 400 small block. After days searching for a 26 spline 11inch clutch I came across this in a clutch manual at advance auto parts. It fits perfectly in the stock bell housing and bolted right up. as for the shifter I would say yes they are the same. I have seen many gm and ford t-5's the two major differences are the ford is straight up, Camaros are on a tilt to one side and the ford bolts to the bell housing different I believe.
Sounds like you have a camaro t5 or at least one that came behind a v8 - my i/p shaft is 14 spline with 1" diameter. Stock S10. but it is a WC 93 case which is kinda nice. Strange combo, but the more I research it, the more it appears the seller was not pullin my leg.

I think I will give the 14 spline, 11" astro van clutch kit a whirl. What could possibly go wrong.....
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
wc63

good luck with that jocko. please keep us posted
wc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
enick72

I put a T5 in my 65 last summer with the use of the Hamilton Intakes adaptor plate and it was sooooo easy. I used an S10 clutch plate from Summit with all other original parts. I used the S10 drive shaft shortened balenced.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote