The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
LilTruckMan'69

'72 cab gas tank into '69 c20

So I just picked up a good used '72 tank for my '69. In cab style. I found out that this is the ?EEC? Or something like that. The emissions, evaporation some kind of whatever. You guys know what i'm talking about. Am I going to run into any probs switching these out? I'm guessing it will fit, will bolt in to same mounts, but maybe I have to plug a breather line or something. Didn't get a chance to really look over mine to know what to compare to, and now i'm stuck at work. Have fun, and let me know what ya know! Thnx
LilTruckMan'69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
LilTruckMan'69

'72 In Cab Tank Swap Into '69 - What I Need To Know?

Hi guys. Just picked up a new to me and in good condition '72 in cab tank. I needed it to replace my rusty tank with banged up filler neck that wouldn't seal.

At the time of purchase I was informed of the difference. The ?EEC? Or whatever it's called. I'm sure you guys know what i'm talking about. It's the emission/evaporation stuff. I am pretty confident that it will work, but figured i'd ask on here. I'm at work, and can't look at my stuff!

So I figure the new to me tank will fit, bolt up same as the old, and maybe I will have to plug a return/evaporation outlet of some kind. And I also suspect that it will be a pain to get the filler neck and it's rubber boot in and out. And it will probably rip.

So, that sound about right? Is this project Gunna work?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
69heavychevy

Re: '72 In Cab Tank Swap Into '69 - What I Need To Know?

if emissions isnt an issue for you then just plug and go!
69heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
cdowns

not a plug and go deal

the 72 tank uses a nonvented gascap// theoutlet that went to the charcoal canister is easily used as a vent/ but you need to take the venting hose into a high loop in the passenger side pillar then down thru cab floor and i like to have it go down frame rail and in back of the cab
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
LilTruckMan'69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
not a plug and go deal

the 72 tank uses a nonvented gascap// theoutlet that went to the charcoal canister is easily used as a vent/ but you need to take the venting hose into a high loop in the passenger side pillar then down thru cab floor and i like to have it go down frame rail and in back of the cab
Any chance of just drilling a hole in cap? I think I would prefer your method since I'm really not liking the gas spewing out of my tank and down my truck. I here ya on the hose routing. almost asked what you use at the end, but I think I got something. Air filter/muffler fitting. The brass fitting with porous stone in a flat topped cone shape. I think that would work. Looks like I need hose and a drill bit.