The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Mayo
Cool Truck

Chevy 3500HD Rollback Custom

Here is my first model build in a couple of years, my first custom, and only my second plastic model build. I have built many snap together diecast kits and used to customize my toy trucks all the time with popsicle sticks, so atleast I have a little experience. I have had this my idea in my head for a while now, and decided to build a replica of the tow truck I drive occasionally.

Here is the look I am going for

And here is what I started out with

I bought this cab back in January off eBay and was really surprised to win the auction. There were only a couple of hours left and the thing was up to $500 because someone thought it was a real truck cab. Their bid was then cancelled and I won. I really wanted this cab even though the body color was wrong because the grille was already detailed. The first step was to sand it down and paint it blue, which came out pretty good.

Next, I had to find a chassis. I ended up getting a 3500 dually from ebay, and was now on my way with my build.

Next, I had to trim some plastic off the rear of the frame around the tires seeing as I didn't need it.

After that, I cut the frame so that I could lenghten it. I ended up using some little pieces of wood that I got from the craft store, and it sat in that stage for a couple of months as I got busy with another project. I finally glued the frame together this week and got it painted, and this is what it now looks like.

I got my bed out for a quick mock up and I think it is looking pretty good

Now, I had to figure out how the bed would attach to the frame, tilt, and slide. I made a flat piece of wood to lay on the frame between the rear wheels to level everything out. I then made another one and got a little hinge so that I could screw them together and make it tilt. I then put a track on the bottom of the bed so that it would slide, but it was going to smooth so I had to put a spacer between the hinge and the base of the track. Now the bed rolls fine, but the only problem is it almost sits a little too high, so I may have to see if there is a way to lower it down a little.

That is the current state of the build. I am really pleased with the way it is coming along, but I know I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Chevy 3500HD Rollback Custom

That's coming together nicely. Do you know how to make your own decals? I want to try that someday.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Mayo
Cool Truck

Re: Chevy 3500HD Rollback Custom

Yeah I am taking a little break from it right now because I am in Ocean City for the next week. I have tried making stickers for my own truck before but they didn't work out too well so I am not sure what I am going to do for the logos yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote