The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
emil77

Name of hose going into air filter?

Hi guys,

What's the correct name of the hose in the pictures below? It's supposed to sit inside the air filter, correct? Why does mine sometimes come out? Is it missing a certain part to keep it inside the filter?

emil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
CHEVY_BOI93

Re: Name of hose going into air filter?

i dont know the name of it. but you just need a thicker hose
this is what mines looks like.
I assume you dont have the proper hose. just get a bigger one. problem solved

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
CHEVY_BOI93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
truckster

I think it's just called a breather hose.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
QKENUF4U

in the first set of pics that just looks like it may be a vacumn line for the choke setup (cant see where it attaches in the pics) im thinking you can just pull it off and throw it in the toolbox/trash. just make sure its not hooked up to a vacumn port on the carb base.... if it is then you need to plug the port on the carb base..

the second set of pics is the correct setup...
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
emil77

I just went and took pictures of my engine setup, I'm guessing it's totally wrong? Wow, I hope there's no damage to the engine being done? I don't have an adapter as show in CHEVY_BOI93 2nd picture. Should I buy a new breather hose? Is that the correct part?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
rbagley

Take this for what it's worth, which isn't much, but I think that's a vacuum line for the secondaries on the carb? I don't think it needs to be filtered air. If I'm right then it shouldn't be doing any damage, your secondaries just wouldn't be opening very well. I've only ever looked at one q-jet and it was a while ago. I think that hose probably hooks in behind the carb. on the manifold or something. Definitely wait for someone else to chime in before taking my advice though

Edit, I saw your other pictures. There should be a bigger hose going from a valve cover INTO the carb and one from the other valve cover that gets clean air from the air cleaner through that spacer that's between the air cleaner and carb. It looks like you have both of those in place. I think the smaller hose in the second picture you posted in the first post is the only one that looks funky, and that's the one I'm referring to in the first part of this post. I challenge you to say that in a more confusing way.

Last edited by rbagley; 07-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.
rbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
emil77

Hi, thanks for the advice. I'm still confused though, shouldn't the larger hose in the last picture of my 2nd post be going into the air filter?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
rbagley

I don't think so. If I'm seeing it right it looks like that hose is coming from your PCV valve (positive crank ventilation?) My understanding is that it takes something burnable and sends it to the carb to be burnt. Only one valve cover should have a breather, which does need filtered air. I'm still waiting for someone smart to chime in though.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
QKENUF4U

ok first new pic.... pull the hose off at the black arrow.. is that an actual vacumn port/opening into the carb ??? if it is then just plug it off with a plug or small hose with a screw in it... im thinking its not a vacumn port since the truck runs fine im assuming ?
2nd pic... <---? is for your trans which is fine. leave it alone
3rd pic... ?---> pull that small black hose off as i said and see if its an actual vacumn port
4th pic... those arrows are pointing at your PCV setup which is perfectly fine.... you can run it that way or run it as CHEVY BOI93 has his. either way works fine
oh and the big hose fitting in the air cleaner bottom can be plugged off/tapped over since its not being used/or needed unless you run it like chevy boi93...
Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
stich626
Account Suspended

looks like that hose that goes nowhere is ported vacuum.
(vacuum signal only as the throttle blades open.. if so..
what is your vacuum advance running to????? if it's hooked to a port below the throttle blades or intake it's getting a vacuum signal all the time..
how is this thing running at part throttle?
something tells me after you plug that port or the port the vacuum advance is hooked to now. it's gonna run better if it's running like crap now, or run like crab after it's pluged.. thats a major vacuum leak.. and if it's running good as it is. the carb adjustments are way off..
good luck
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
QKENUF4U

Thumbs up Re: Name of hose going into air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
looks like that hose that goes nowhere is ported vacuum.
(vacuum signal only as the throttle blades open.. if so..
what is your vacuum advance running to????? if it's hooked to a port below the throttle blades or intake it's getting a vacuum signal all the time..
how is this thing running at part throttle?
something tells me after you plug that port or the port the vacuum advance is hooked to now. it's gonna run better if it's running like crap now, or run like crab after it's pluged.. thats a major vacuum leak.. and if it's running good as it is. the carb adjustments are way off..
good luck
exactly what i was thinking.. no way of knowing how its running right now....
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
emil77

Hmmm, thanks for the info, somewhat confusing to an engine noob like myself. The truck runs fine, sounds good to my rookie ears. So what do you guys suggest I do, leave it as is?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
rbagley

I think everything's fine except for that small hose that isn't hooked up in the second picture of the first post. That should be hooked up to a manifold vacuum source for better performance.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
emil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbagley View Post
I think everything's fine except for that small hose that isn't hooked up in the second picture of the first post. That should be hooked up to a manifold vacuum source for better performance.

Right now that hose is going into the air filter. Where is the manifold vacuum source on my engine and how do I hook up to it?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
QKENUF4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbagley View Post
but I think that's a vacuum line for the secondaries on the carb?
that long line going to his air filter is NOT controlling the vacumn secondaries. if you look at the pics youll see it has a line connected to the valve on the front side running to the carb base... far as i can tell that line running to the air cleaner is doing noting what so ever and could be plugged off..... atleast thats what i would do if it was my truck...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
emil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
that long line going to his air filter is NOT controlling the vacumn secondaries. if you look at the pics youll see it has a line connected to the valve on the front side running to the carb base... far as i can tell that line running to the air cleaner is doing noting what so ever and could be plugged off..... atleast thats what i would do if it was my truck...
So if I plug the line you mention, will I then have to take the line from the valve in post # 5, picture number 4 into the air filter?