The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
FLcustom10

Re: Testing the new Painless Wiring Harness

Thanks guys, Treveiger pretty much everything I've done with this truck is something I've never done before. I'm just taking it very slowly and it's not too hard. It really helps to have the guys on the forum to answer questions. I think a wiring harness with all of the right connections cost about $600. I paid $387 for the Painless harness from Summit Racing and am supposed to get a $100.00 rebate off of that. I'm pleased with the Painless wiring harness. Everything is labeled very well and there are extra wires for things like cruise control and power windows which I'm not going to use. I'm just taping those off and putting them out of the way. You'll have to save your old wiring harness to get some connections such as the half-moon plastic piece from the turn signal. I started off using the crimp connectors that they gave me, but after reading about needing to solder and heat-shrink the connections I did a youtube search on how to do that and gave it a try. I'm much happier with soldering and heat-shrinking the connections. You'll have to enlarge the opening in the fire-wall. They give you a template and it was very easy with a dremel tool. Just go slow and use painters tape to protect the paint edges. I'm using cold-shrink wrap to wrap the wires to try to make them look neater. I don't know if it's easier to wire since I have the truck all torn apart or if it would be easier to replace one thing at a time while the old harness is still there.

Here are some pictures so far:
Attached Images

FLcustom10 is offline   Reply With Quote