The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Jordo33

New '72 Jimmy on the site - A few restoration questions

Hey guys (and gals),

I just found a '72 Jimmy and brough it home... so now the work begins. It's all original and survived the 900 mile drive home - they don't make them like they used to. It's all original, and most everything is there, it just hasn't had much done to it in the last 40 years and needs a bunch of work to make it pretty again. I originally wanted to drop the body on a newer frame with a diesel, but I have the protect o plate to prove the engine is original to the truck and it'd be a shame to separate it. 350, manual tranny, 4wd

So question time:
-It obviously runs, but the exhaust is patched together right now. Does anyone know if there's exhaust kits out there, or is it worth just going to a good shop and having it custom made? Also, thoughts on getting some aftermarket headers (looking at earlier threads hooker competitions were the best) vs. staying original?

-How hard would it be to put A/C in it? Some of the lines are in it, but it sounds like those were run no matter what and just used if it had the option. I know I'd need to get the condensor, brackets, heater box...

-There's some minor rust at the back of the bed, but the rest of it's in good shape. Any if there's patch pannels for that? (I haven't found any yet)

-The only body pannel in rough shape is the tailgate - any idea if regular pickup tailgates would fit as well?

Thanks!
Jordo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Re: New '72 Jimmy on the site - A few restoration questions

Exhaust: Depending on how you build the motor, I dont think it warrants headers. There is a thread on 2.5" 60's Corvette manifolds and Dorman makes reproduction ones that don't cost much. If its not bored and stroked with a huge carb etc., just get the manifolds and take it to a local exhaust shop. You may want to get your own mufflers and supply them to the shop. Find somone who can bend pipe without the kinks... then discuss price with and without you suplying the mufflers.

A/C: I would run a vintage air aftermarket kit. I havent ued one but i hear great things and will be using one in the future on another project. I belive it may be cheaper in the long run if your missing a bunch of factory parts.

Rust: I have the same rust. I think the last crossmember under the tailgate is different from Blazer to Pickup. I think some guys have made it work. The tailgates are the same from pickup to Blazer.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

oh.. and you need to post pics... or the natives will get restless....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Jordo33

Finally have some good pictures to post. She's definately unrestored and rough around the edges, but it's solid. Don't let the shine fool you - it was raining... the previous owner painted it from blue to black with spraypaint. Half the trim is missing, but that's easier to find. Flew down to VA to pick it up, and learned the engine had never been worked on - half the original spark plugs/wires still in there, same as the head gaskets/etc. Jumped in there and drove it half way accross the country, though. Very little rust with the exception of the rockers and tailgate.
Attached Images

Jordo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Nice! Good luck on your new truck. Looks like it's in really good shape and not all chopped up. Reminds me of the drive home with mine, lol
Posted via Mobile Device