The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
darkone

'70 Drum Brakes; when is rebuilding necessary? what should be done to optimize perfor

hey all, i dont know much about drum brakes, but im tearing all mine open for a necessary cleaning following my sandblasting. ive air blasted, and brake cleaner'd them, but i dont know how to identify if anything needs to be done to keep them in top notch shape. what should i look for, and what can I do to make sure sticking is not a problem? any help appreciated. thanks in advance!
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
whitelightnin92

Re: '70 Drum Brakes; when is rebuilding necessary? what should be done to optimize pe

really for the pice it is to rebuild them, i would buy the shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware kit that way theyre completely new. personally i wouldnt want to keep drums on the front. im not going to tell you that drums are no good and you need discs tho.
72 C10 short stepside(almost driveable)
whitelightnin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Re: '70 Drum Brakes; when is rebuilding necessary? what should be done to optimize pe

this might help ya save it
Attached Images

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
mrein3

I'm assuming you are talking about front drum brakes. To optimize performance, take off the front drums and install disk brakes.

If you are dead set on the drums, I would replace the shoes, replace the hardware kit, replace the wheel cylinder, and have the drums turned.

While you are in there this far I'd inspect and replace if necessary the wheel bearings.

Then I would put it all back together and make sure ALL the old brake fluid is flushed out.

After everything is all bled, adjust them to spec.

Then do the rears. New hardware, new shoes, turns drums, replace wheel cylinders, and make sure all the old brake fluid is flushed out. Button it up and adjust the shoes to spec.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Don't be suprised if you go have the drums turned and they tell you they are out of spec for thickness and you'll need new ones.

But for "optimum performance", a disc brake conversion would be best.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
1970 Bowtie
It's all in the timing

I rebuilt all 4 wheels on mine last year and they work fine for me.You just have to remember they are drums and not disc so you have to allow for more stopping distance.As all have stated above replacing the shoes,wheel bearings,wheel cylinders,hardware kit and turning the drums.You should also replace the brake hoses on all 4 wheels as these are known to deteriorate and collapse under braking.But if you have the money disc brakes on all 4 corners is the way to go.
1970 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
darkone

what do you guys mean by "turning the drums"?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
slikside

"Turning" refers to machining the surface of the drum that contacts the pad on your brake shoes. To achieve optimum performance, a completely clean, smooth, and uniform surface of the drum is necessary. It takes a metal lathe to do it. But you must have sufficient material left on the drum, so that when turning is complete, you still have a drum within minimum tolerance.
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
darkone

what should the min. thickness of the existing drum be in order to turn the drum?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
slikside

I can't say, but any place that can turn your drums (brake shops, some parts stores, etc.) will most likely have the specs.
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The specs are cast into the drum...

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would say,just replace the wheel bearings and seals.Since you blasted,there's probably sand (or media) in the bearings.If there is,no need to pull them twice.The drums will probably have to be turned.New shoes and wheel cyl.
You should probably price all the parts and see if it's not a better value to go ahead and do the disc swap.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
cdowns

if you could find a really old mechanic that knows performance drum brakes and has a setup the shoes can b radiused for full contact on the drums for maximum performance
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
But for "optimum performance", a disc brake conversion would be best.

Gary
Why would they be better? Disc brakes take more PSI than drum brakes.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
long69

i'm gunna lay this out there, first stop for first stop drums are as good as disks. after that first hard brake without a long cooling off period disks have it all over drums.
do i have drums-yes do i want disks-YES.
back to the question- for my money- and it doesn't cost a thang- the most important thing is make sure they are adjusted properly.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I just did a complete drum brake job on my 68 GMC. Unbelievable difference!

This is repetitous since it's all been mentioned above but here's what I replaced on mine: (total cost about $250)

New shoes -front and back.
New brake spring kit (4)
New hoses. Three- 2 in front and 1 on the passenger side of the rear axle.
Had the drums turned (IIRC, $7 each)
New inner and outer bearings and seals.
All brake cylinders.

Things you will also need:
Wheel bearing grease and at least 3 cans of brake cleaner for insuring everything is clean. Also look up how to pack the bearings if you're not familiar with the procedure.

Brake adjusting tool (A screw driver will do in a pinch).
Brake spring install tools. (a pair of vise grips and duck bills pliars will do in a pinch)

Plan on the whole weekend. First day to get everything together and having the drums turned. Second day for the actual work.

And be sure and do only one side at a time so you can refer to the other when reinstalling. Take pics also, just to be on the safe side.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #17
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if you could find a really old mechanic that knows performance drum brakes and has a setup the shoes can b radiused for full contact on the drums for maximum performance
he would have to be real old and to find one with re arch machine LOL

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
ed2552

I rebuilt the drums on our 67 this spring and replaced the master cylinder, and while it's no disc setup, it stops plenty fine for an old truck. If your truck is a daily driver I HIGHLY recommend discs, but if you just drive it for fun, the drums will work fine too.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
Why would they be better? Disc brakes take more PSI than drum brakes.
What does more PSI got to do with it? Don't see a lot of true performance rigs with 4 corner drums on them do you?

Stock rigs with a beefed up engine and a few go fast goodies... sure.

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about front drum brakes. To optimize performance, take off the front drums and install disk brakes.

If you are dead set on the drums, I would replace the shoes, replace the hardware kit, replace the wheel cylinder, and have the drums turned.

While you are in there this far I'd inspect and replace if necessary the wheel bearings.

Then I would put it all back together and make sure ALL the old brake fluid is flushed out.

After everything is all bled, adjust them to spec.

Then do the rears. New hardware, new shoes, turns drums, replace wheel cylinders, and make sure all the old brake fluid is flushed out. Button it up and adjust the shoes to spec.
I agree-discs are much easier to work on. The cost of the swap using 73-87 stuff is not that much. That's what I would do.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote