The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Trying to do this the right way...

OK, well it has been a while. I am still in Afghanistan, but trying to get some prep work done for my return. Got a whole stack of parts in my bedroom waiting to be installed on Project Heaven...Not to mention I had my workshop torn down and currently have a brand new steel frame 30' X 40' workshop being constructed as I am typing this. Cant wait to get home and start working again.

I recently bought two parts trucks (a 67 cab and rolling chassis, and a 68 50th Anniversary) and decided that I want to do something crazy with a 68 50th Anniversary edition that I got in the deal. The 67 has had a 5 lug makeover with disk in the front off of a 72. It is a short frame, and the cab is an original 67 with AC and big back window just needs rockers...It will probably be for sale once I get the rear end off of it.

The 68 is complete, sorta. All of the parts are there to include the original 327 and TH400, just needs to be rebuilt. Not too much rust, the norm really. Rockers, cab corners... But the one piece that I noticed when I was home on R&R is very disturbing. The area where the VIN plate is attached on the drivers side door frame is rusted through. (Not sure how that area gets rusted, but the truck has sat in a barn for the past 10+ years) Vin Plate is about half rotted away. I will get pics if I can...

Is there a way to legally get a new VIN plate made? State Department of Motor Vehicles, or some other state agency? I would much rather keep the VIN the same as it is a 50th, but not real sure??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! BTW, I am in TX if that helps...
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
AirSpeed

Re: Trying to do this the right way...

I don't have an answer for you but was wondering the same thing! I removed mine when I rebuilt my truck, the old one is worn and hardly ledgable. I have been wondering if it's legal to make a new one? I have a friend who does CNC work for me and want to have him carve one with all the info just as the original. I can't imagine it would be a big issue if I were to sell my truck but I dont want to have to remove a rebuilt one if there were issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Red68

Do you have the title for it in your name? If not I have heard that you could have problems getting it titled if you don't have the original vin plate in the original location. If you plan to tag it with a classic or regular Texas tag you will need an inspection and if they think the vin plate has been removed and replaced they may not approve it. I have the antique tags on mine which does not require an inspection but with those tags I am only suppose to drive it to shows and parades etc. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
1949 1/2 tn, needs complete restore (future project)
1969 Chevy impala 4 dr no post (wifes future car)
2010 GMC Serria 4x4 crew, leveling kit
Red68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red68 View Post
Do you have the title for it in your name? If not I have heard that you could have problems getting it titled if you don't have the original vin plate in the original location. If you plan to tag it with a classic or regular Texas tag you will need an inspection and if they think the vin plate has been removed and replaced they may not approve it. I have the antique tags on mine which does not require an inspection but with those tags I am only suppose to drive it to shows and parades etc. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Title is in my name, that was fun. The VIN plate is there but very rusty and is going to have to be cut out to fix the rust...
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote