The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
sigshooter

Cutting frame from long to short

I have a 1965 Long stepside and I am ready to make it short. I have read probably all of the threads on this site about it and feel very comfortable about the whole thing. I just want any last minute pointers that someone might feel would be useful. Who has done this and what were your experiences with it.

I plan on making the Z notch cutting the 3 inch wide 12 inch long sections from under the cab and relocating the rear cab mount so as to leave the VIN numbers intact. I will be using a torch for the cutting and an arc welder to seam it back up.

I have a short bed frame I was going to put under it, but I prefer to leave all the numbers correct. I can use this frame to make sure everything is in its correct place.

Thanks in advance forany and all information
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
biohazardbill

Re: Cutting frame from long to short

Not to sound silly but will numbers really matter since the VIN denotes long bed and its not anymore?

Would be quicker and safer to use the shortbox frame imo.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
sigshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
Not to sound silly but will numbers really matter since the VIN denotes long bed and its not anymore?

Would be quicker and safer to use the shortbox frame imo.
I know I am a lil strange ( we all have our own quirks) I just prefer to keep all the numbers matching for sentimental reasons ( it was my grandpas truck ) and legal issues. I also have all new suspension and drivetrain on my frame... seems about a wash on which would be quicker by the time I stripped down two frames and swapped everything over...... Like I said I am a lil strange lol
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

I just cut my frame this week and took pics it is on my 65 suburban build thread i used a sawzall i would not recommend using torches as it may be to much heat hopethis helps it wasnt hard it took me may be an hour
Posted via Mobile Device
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

63 up had heat treated frames and was recommended that no welding was allowed as it would change the temper. Lots of guys on the forum have shortened their frame. Now when you think of the liability of shortening your frame then, God forbid, your in an accident. Wo just turned into my father!

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Woogeroo

blasphemy.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
awbrown

And me thinking of lengthening a frame ....looked at another cab yesterday to do the crew cab thing ............
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
shrunken66stroker

With a torch you're going to put a ton of heat into the metal. If you don't have access to a sawzall or plasma, I'd do it with a few cutting wheels and take your time. If you use the torch, make sure you brace both sides of the cut so the extra heat doesn't move things around too much. Also you're going to have a large gap to fill after cutting with a torch and cleaning it up with a grinder, so don't let that surprise you. Next, make sure you reenforce the area with a fish plate or doubler plate. I got mine from earlyclassic.com. Here's the link. http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx
I think what helped me the most when welding it back together was the punch marks I made on both sides of the the cut. Mark everything out just like you're going to cut it with soap stone or marker. Take a punch, make sure you get outside your cutting area and make a mark on both sides of the cuts. Take a measurement to know that you're cutting the same amount out of both sides. Also measure in an X pattern to make sure nothing moved laterally. Measure 3 times, take it slow and do it right. Good Luck!
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

When they did this on the Trucks TV show, they also tacked temporary bracing across the frame in front and behind the cut area, and tacked vertical lengths from the frame down to the floor to hold everything square once the front and back were separated. Once the cuts and grinding were completed, the vertical pieces made it easier to slide the two ends together and hold alignment for finish welding.

And just in case you haven't seen it already, here's another thread about shortening the frame. I really like how he rounded the ends of the Z cut. Very cool looking, and eliminates any stress corners.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

Last edited by markeb01; 08-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

part 1:
http://webrodder.com/article.php?AID=404&SID=60&CID=
part 2:
http://webrodder.com/article.php?AID=405&SID=60&CID=

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

JIG !!!

When I do these type of operations, I always prefer to use a jig ... although not neccesary.

THey hold everything square while you cut. You can even incorporate a "slide" in it to allow the chassis to come together.

It doesn't need to be super fancy.

In fact, I built a mini one for use at home from scrap steel for my VW pan (shortening for dunebuggy) with a slide, that held everything to within 1/64th

As others recommended, I would use a 4" grinder with a thin blade and make your cuts that way.

Drilling some holes in the 'corners' of the cuts helps out as well ...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote