The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Project77

thinking about maybe dropping a big block in my truck

okay heres the deal ive been thinking long and hard about what kind of engine i want to put in my truck i love the big blocks but i dont know if its worth it? would yall consider a big block? what kind of transmission and rear end gears would work perfect im going for street use trying to make it a hot rod and would i need to get a new crossmember or something how would i be able to fit a big block in there without issues i dont know much about big blocks so this would be a great way to learn about it.

the truck is a 1977 chevy lwb c10 it has just a stock 350 in it with 350th trans and 12 bolt rear end(still no chance to check out rear gears)
Project77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Project77

Re: thinking about maybe dropping a big block in my truck

oh and what size big block should i go with i was thinking maybe a 502 i want something that will not just satisfy me but scare the living piss out of me sometimes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Just my opinion: i love big blocks don't get me wrong here. But i wouldn't go big block unless my liquid net worth was at least $110,000.

Big block on the street = financial suicide.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Project77

okay let me get even more specific with my plans

Before:
Motor:
taking the 350 i have now and tearing everything off of it check to see if the block is even worth rebuilding on if its a 4 bolt main and looks good i was going to stroke it(383) gonna throw alot of perfermance part in there(research yet to come to see what works well together)
Transmission:
then taking the th350 tranny i got and rebuilding it myself(so i can learn about that stuff) put a good kit in there then after that put the stall converter in there depending on the type of cam i get is how i will decide what converter to go with
Rear End:
then taking the 12 bolt rear end and switching it with a 14 bolt posi out of a camaro with 3.73 gears
Tires:
still havent got the chance to research what tires have good traction i was thinking maybe falkens, bfgs or possibly michelen

After:
Motor:
502 big block high output engine maybe get a 502 crate unless its cheaper to rebuilt it from ground up gaining lots of experience
Transmission:
im not familiar with the big blocks so i have no idea what kind of transmissions they call for or what works well with the big blocks
Rear End:
again not familiar with what works well with big blocks
Tires:
something that will catch some serious traction to keep up with the horse power coming from the engine but has to be street legal since this is a street truck

Questions:
which would yall consider i want something that will keep me very happy and on my toes?
what available horse power ranges am i able to get with the 383? and then with the 502?
how much ft lbs of torque are available with the 383? and then with the 502?
which one would hold up better between the two of them?
What does everyone think about this? all opinions are great considering im wanting to know everything possible about these two motors
What do you have?
How do you like it?
What would you want? be considerable...

sorry yes its alot of information even if you only have an answer to one question its valuable because remember all opinions matter and you may know something somebody else left out.

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE MEMBERS HERE!!!
how much
Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
79k30dually

What do you use your truck for? Do you want a BBC to be different? I installed a TBI 454 from a 87 suburban in my dually, But, I tow a trailer. As a daily driver, I'd look to other options to be different. My truck weighs 6700# and I get 12mpg w/o the trailer. Thats good for a truck that size. The WOW factor will also be there with a 383 and a line lock. Good luck, Ron
79k30dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Project77

its my daily driver right now but im turning it into the hot rod im going to get another daily driver then get to work on this truck my new daily driver is going to be maybe a 2003-2004 silverado ss maybe or even considering a cobalt ss and yes i want to be different not just because i dont want to be like everyone else but also because i want to see what i can do when i get my hands on one of these motors i know maybe about two to three people that have 383 i have yet to know anyone around here with a big block and it would be nice knowing things other people around here dont know
Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
Project77

oh and thats another question

what would be the weight difference?

what would be an overall more reliable engine
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Project77

okay i think i may have made up my mind on which motor to go with im thinking im just going to stroke my 350 after doing a little bit of research i learned big blocks cost way more than small blocks to build on and maintain so what ever helps the budget is great maybe later on down the road when i have lots of money to blow might go for a 502 maybe even bigger
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
russgt

What is your budget?
20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
73gmc454

I would go with the big block not so much for a daily driver... at the shop we have a 72 c10 flatbed work truck with a zz502 and a new venture 4500 , it has been on a few long trips even pulling a trailer ! always starts and runs great ! I am building a truck with a 496 cant say much it hasnt been on the road yet , link to 72 http://hoppelfab.com/Custom%20Built%...0Equipment.htm
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
cjlinkster

IMHO it would be both cheaper and easier to build up a nice small block than the big block.

My truck has the factory 454. In its stock form it only has about 250hp and 390 lbs torque. These engines seem to be more low end stub pullers than high performance.

I like the big block, but I would not want to have to drive it as a daily driver. It's way too thirsty.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Build an LSx and be done with it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

In my experience, a full size old truck - 350 or 454 - will both get about 10-12 mpg. city, maybe 13-15 highway, depending on loaded weight and rear axle ratio. Some will say they get much better mpg, but I never have.
So, although BBs are more expensive to buy and rebuild, they are not as popular as SBs because they have the reputation of being gas hogs. I see trucks advertised in CL with recently rebuilt 454s or good running 454s for very few $$. My 73 C20 with stock 454/TH400 was one of the fastest vehicles I have owned.
If you want a real scary fast hot rod it will cost you big $$ to do it right - SB or BB. Or, just buy a truck with a good 454 already in it - they are all over the place. But a word of caution - it's not the engine and transmission that are the big cost - it's all of the other stuff on the truck that you will have to replace over time that eat a hole in your wallet.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Just my opinion: i love big blocks don't get me wrong here. But i wouldn't go big block unless my liquid net worth was at least $110,000.

Big block on the street = financial suicide.
Not exactly (it depends on what your comparison is against).

I've been driving my 454/th400 equipped CC dually around daily @ a whopping 8-9mpg's w/the a/c blowin' cold since last October & doing just fine on a blue-collar income (filling the tank @ least once a week).

At ~10mpg (which I should be getting), one tank of gas lasts me a week (150+ miles). At most I would be getting 15mpg's in a 'newer' CC 1/2 ton swb truck w/a 6.0/4l80e LS based drivetrain. $500 min truck pmt a month for the newer truck plus the fuel (not as much fuel but still gotta' have it) & the difference is ~1 tank of gas or $80 bucks:

New 6.0/4l80e combo @ 150miles x 4wks /15mpg = 40 gals of gas
Old 454/th400 combo @ 150miles x 4wks /10mpg = 60gal
60gals - 40 is just a 20gal difference

20gals x $4 a gallon of gas = $80 bucks more a month in fuel. That $80 difference to drive that gas guzzlin', no over-drive trans, bbc, dual rear wheels w/more weight capacity & absolutely no monthly payment = an extra $400+ bucks in your pocket a month (no car payment).

Don't have a car payment? How long @ that $80 a month difference would it take me to justify the cost of a LSx based swap? Figure 3K for the swap (minimum) & it would take me over 3yrs to justify the expense unless I start putting a bunch more miles on the clock.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-13-2011 at 11:34 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Would like to discuss more, in depth regarding bbc vs. other engines later , but for now:

What i meant was all other things being equal. Yes, weekly/monthly mileage is a large factor, but anything the big block can do, the small block can do just as good or better for all practical purposes. Yes, i know the BBC can make much more power and at lower rpms etc. and do it cheaper in the long run, but this is a daily driver.

You can get running big blocks cheap, but you can also do that with small blocks, so no advantage there.

If a big block can get 12-13mpg, then a small block can(and do) get 16-17. If a big block can get 15, then a small block can get 19-20. This 4-5 mpg will add up fast. UNLESS this was the sort of thing where you only drove it on weekends or something, but it's not the case here.

This might only be $80 a week more in gas if you use the big block, but my point is since the small block can be amazingly fast w/out spending too much and really, i don't know where everyone lives, but here 300hp is more than the road can handle here----you run out of road before you run out of engine. Then this is why i feel running a big block is not a good financial move.

There is a reason why big blocks are not available in trucks anymore. There is also a reason why big blocks haven't been available in cars since 76.

More later and i don't hate big blocks i love them. But i love money more.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Don't have a car payment? How long @ that $80 a month difference would it take me to justify the cost of a LSx based swap? Figure 3K for the swap (minimum) & it would take me over 3yrs to justify the expense unless I start putting a bunch more miles on the clock.
Good info Scoti, as I would expect coming from "Mr. Research".

My comment on the LSx swaps holds a bit of validity based on the OP's intent. In your case where you already had a BBC the conversion to an LSx was not the most economical choice especially when factoring in your intended use. The OP did not ask for input based on an economical DD. His concerns where making more power and having something unique.

I feel that as common as the LSx swaps have become, they still draw attention over a comparable BBC conversion. I have little doubt that once installed, an LSx can produce a LOT more power and retain efficiency over a carbed or TBI BBC.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-14-2011 at 06:28 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Good info Scoti, as I would expect coming from "Mr. Research".

My comment on the LSx swaps holds a bit of validity based on the OP's intent. In your case where you already had a BBC the conversion to an LSx was not the most economical choice especially when factoring in your intended use. The OP did not ask for input based on an economical DD. His concerns where making more power and having something unique.

I feel that as common as the LSx swaps have become, they still draw attention over a comparable BBC conversion. I have little doubt that once installed, an LSx can produce a LOT more power and retain efficiency over a carbed or TBI BBC.
You figured out I do my homework on this stuff huh? Like stated, the generalization that a "Big block on the street = financial suicide" is not absolute since.....

Quote:
(it depends on what your comparison is against).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote