The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
closer9

Thinking about buying a '79 Blazer, have questions...

Just have a couple questions, please. I've been browsing online, but still have questions...

My dad is picking up a '79 4WD Blazer this weekend with what he believes to be a fresh 350 and stock 350TH. I don't know much more than that, other than it's very clean, no rust, no major dents/dings, and says interior is in pretty decent shape. He's not really that interested in keeping it. He's more of a pickup kinda guy. Well, I have a '94 Ram 1500 4WD with 3" of lift, 33's and a 5-spd. I absolutely love my Dodge, but if the wife and daughter want to go with me anywhere it's very cramped with the shifter, and we're planning on a little brother or sister soon. It's not my daily driver, and neither would the Blazer be. However, the Blazer just seems more family and camping friendly. We have 4 vehicles tagged right now, and 5 is just too many to keep up with, so the Dodge would have to go. I realize this is a Chevy board, and I really don't want to get into a Chevy vs Dodge kinda thing, just want your opinions, and what to look out for. I've never owned a 4WD this old. I will miss power windows, locks, tilt, cruise, fuel injection, no manual hubs and overdrive, but I guess those are all things I can add later. I will also miss the 8' bed, but I have a nice 5'x10' flat bed trailer that hasn't been used much since buying the Dodge. It also seems like Dad has a complete TPI setup off a Camaro that I could probably talk him out of pretty easy.

What kind of things should I be watching for specific to these trucks? Also, I don't dislike the round light front ends, but I much prefer the later shorter front ends with the square lights, especially around 1990. I'm assuming fenders, hood, grill/bezels, and maybe a core support would be needed to convert?

Also, how hard is it to remove the top? What about the back seat? Does it fold down, or just remove? How hard is it to remove? What's the largest tire I can fit without a lift? (it's currently got steel wagon wheels with tiny street tires... ) Are these truly a Chevy/GMC pickup with the obvious exceptions? If you were in my position, what would you do?

I'm not looking for a hard core crawler or mud truck. Just a nice work/play truck that can go most places. Wow, typed a lot more than I thought I would, but I really appreciate anyone who has read this far.

thanks!!!!!!!
closer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
iluvmy72

Re: Thinking about buying a '79 Blazer, have questions...

I don't think anyone is going to beat you up about having a dodge.....hell....guys on here have been putting cummings diesel engines into these trucks. I'm going to give you my 2 cents...it sounds like you are trying to save some money on what you will have and what you desire. A bigger car for the family that someone is giving you and you want to save some fuel with a TPI engine. You also listed a bunch of things you will miss. If it really is as clean as you say, you might need to have a hard look at what you really want. To me it sounds like you would prefer a few extra things and what you listed is a lot of work and investment in my opinion. Personally I would strongly consider selling it as is and find a newer model like a 89-91 version that has all of that stuff. Now if it is for love of building it and having fun doing it, GO FOR IT!!! But taking out a fresh engine and tranny only to put in a TPI and and tranny with an overdrive, change the whole front clip, and add tilt steering to me is not very practical unless you have loads of free time and money. Otherwise I would consider a newer engine like the 5.3. I guess you could always buy a TBI kit from Holley or Edlbrock and add a external overdrive. Still time consuming and expensive. But then you also plan on having a baby. Remember....there is no back door. Getting into the back seat for the car seat location will be hard and will get old very fast. You will have to hold the baby while climbing into the truck while the seat has to fold down for you to maneuver putting the child in. Trust me...I tried this...that's why I changed to a suburban. But whatever you decide....have fun with the build man.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
closer9

Thanks for the reply...

I will say I'm not really looking for a project, but there's nothing here that really bothers me (also, the TPI is just the intake setup. I would keep the longblock that's in the Blazer). I enjoy working on vehicles and making things my own. I'm nearing completion of a full restomod on my '67 Belvedere vert. So, if the Blazer runs and drives good as is, I don't mind adding all the extras as time goes by. However, I have considered just looking for a later model. They don't seem to come up around here that often without being completely ragged out though. And yes I understand what you're saying about getting kids in/out. That was my wife's biggest question. She currently drives a 4WD Cherokee Sport, which will go anywhere we need to go, but there just isn't that much room for camping gear inside. Plus if we have been talking about trading it in for something a little bigger and more highway friendly. Also, it'd be just me in it most of the time.

I guess I just need to go take a look at it when he gets it home. BTW, he wouldn't be giving it to me... The reason I'm considering this one so strongly is the condition, and the probably price.

One more question. The removable top sounds really cool. I absolutely love my old convertible, but honestly how often do you remove the top. With my Belvedere it's just a switch on the dash. The Blazer looks like a pain to take off/on...
Old 04-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
pmpski_1

I had a lot of the same questions that you did recently. I had a 76 a while back, sold it, and regretted it, so I bought another a week or so ago. This time around I got a 91.

1. I like the old round headlights better, but ended up liking the FI and upgrades of the later model.
2. Mine came without a back seat, but I'll be putting one in so I can bring my 3 year old with me. Maybe. Which brings me to my next point.
3. I'm going to install a roll bar/cage in back for extra protection. Really, it's just a fiberglass top, and even worse, mine has a soft top. No protection. If this is going to be a family rig it'll probably be for short trips around town. But that's your call.
4. Depending on the year, it's not too hard to remove the roof. I did it on my own with the 76. PITA, but I did it, both off and on. The 91 is different. I can't even lift the hard top on my own. I guess they added a lot of insulation - or I was a heck of a lot stronger 5 years ago. I'll probably just leave the soft top on it forever.
5. Two kids will probably be a pain if you're using it often and have two car seats.
6. Later model rear seats fold down, but removing them is a couple bolts. Easier than taking the top off IMO.

There's probably more. Let me know if you have any other questions.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
iluvmy72

well as the price of gas creeps....so will available inventory of these trucks
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy72 View Post
well as the price of gas creeps....so will available inventory of these trucks
Right. I bought mine a couple weeks ago. If I waited another month or so I probably could have gotten it even cheaper. As much as I would like it to be, this isn't going to be my DD, so mpg isn't a huge concern for me right now. I can bus\bike\motorcycle to work so driving around on the weekend is the main goal.
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
closer9

Well, Dad got the Blazer Saturday, but still no pictures. I just have the one he got from the seller, which is a friend of his. He says it's actually in better shape than he was thinking. Interior is tan and in good shape, tilt and cruise, but no pw or pl.

He is about 250 miles away, so it will be a while before I can go check it out...

At first glance, I'm thinking a set of truck ralleys and some nice A/T tires, then maybe paint the area inside the trim gray, and maybe the top. Tires and wheels are a must, but the paint is just a thought.

Last edited by closer9; 04-19-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Looks promising so far. It appears to have a small lift on it, maybe 3" or so. The passenger seat tilts forward out of the way, it's not too big a deal to manage with kids. The top comes off easily but is a two-man job.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
closer9

Well, it looks like I might be trading my Dodge for the Blazer. If so, I'll be keeping my 295/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains and picking up a set of Summit's D-Window knock offs, and losing the running boards. Dad is rebuilding all the steering on the Blazer, and found out it has new exhaust, appears to be new rear springs, and the 350/350TH are both fresh (Weiand intake with Quadrajet, stamped steel valve covers with CHEVROLET on them, and crappy chrome air cleaner. Probably powder coat the valve covers black wrinkle and do the same with a matching air cleaner). I went down and checked it out last weekend. Other than sloppy steering it drove great. Found a little rust starting inside the left rear wheel well (back of the floor pan). Both bumpers are just slightly tweeked as is the hood (looks like someone tried to shut it while the hinges were bound). Driver's seat is worn out, but the rest of the interior just needs a good cleaning. Dad has also acquired a set of truck doors with power windows and locks, and they will come with it. I have the pw/pl harness from an '87 van, so I should be set.

Just a quick question. I can probably get Dad to find out for me, but someone on here may know. If the back seat is folded up, how far is it from the seat to the tailgate, and from the seat to the end of the tailgate if the tailgate is down?

My wife and I were both pleasantly surprised by how much room there was inside. I've been in several trucks of this body style, but this was my first Blazer. I'm 6'2" and could sit comfortably in the back. My wife has been really wanting an older Jeep lately (my friend bought an old FJ and put a bikini on it), so she's kind of excited about the Blazer and is already asking about soft tops.

Just some things that have been going through my mind...
get a soft top for the wife...
add a roll bar...
get some gray vinyl sheet for the area inside the side trim...
will a '78 older grill fit? Kinda like the look of the turn signals outside the grill...
find cool modern headunit with USB that will fit the dash...
roof rack? mostly to aid in one person top removal using straps/cables and garage ceiling...
lose the running boards...
retint the windows...
electric rear window...
tach...
rear quarter mounted spare carrier?
and I figure if a good deal ever comes up on a later model front clip with the 89-91? grill/lights I might have to swap... but no big deal if not.

So, may be an actual Blazer owner soon.

Last edited by closer9; 08-17-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
Mr. 250r

I wish i never sold my 6spd dodge biggest mistake i ever made as for square headlights are you talking the dual headlights like on a suburban-blazer or crew cab or the single squares and doesn't that have tilt? it looks like it does, as for fuel injection and overdrive a 1991 V2500 suburban comes with 350 tbi while not the best fuel injection it works great for me and has the 4l80e which has overdrive but i don't use it at the moment
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
closer9

So, you think I should keep my Dodge?

Yes, this one does have tilt and cruise. I didn't know that when I made my first post though. As far as lights, I like the last years of K5 blazers, etc. Overdrive and EFI would be nice, but I think I'll get by not being a daily driver...

BTW, a quick photochop with the Dodge wheels/tires...