The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
r&r419

4L60E And gauge question???

Hey guys,

I have a vortec 5.0 with a 4L60E in my 72' SWB. Well I am ignorant when it comes to the newer motors and electronic tranny's. My question is.... What options do I have as a dash cluster that will operate with my motor and tranny so that I don't have to buy a $400 tranny adapter?? I am having a wiring harness built for the truck/motor also. There is a thread on here of someone using the stock cluster from a 2000 Z28 that hooked right up, it looked good, but I would prefer to keep the stock cluster look. There are some great looking clusters on some of the builds on here, with aftermarket gauges and plates, but will they work with my set-up? Thanks so much!!
r&r419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: 4L60E And gauge question???

classic industries has just ntroduced new marshall instruments muscle series gauges for the 67-72 chvy trucks.
I'd try to find a cheap eletronic analog speedo to use the guts behind the factory face and glue the factory needle on.

if using the factory tach w an ls based engine the tach signal need to be programed for a v8 signal. Aftermarket temp sender can e mounted in the rear of the pass side head, mech oil press can be plumbed into the blockoff pplate above the oil filter.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
r&r419

Brad man,

Thanks so much for your help!! I am ignorant when it comes to the newer stuff! But, I have been researching all day, and came up with a few answers, and definitely thanks for your input. Saaaweet truck by the way.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

thanks for the compliment. I love my truck but some complete moron ran it into a pole about a month ago going about 10mph. It's getting a new 67 clip and the frame damage is already fixed.
tons of great info on this site and ls1tech. Another sweet tip I don't see posted often is that your old power steering pump fitting will srew into the new ps pump so you can use the old pressure line.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
mrhino
Account Suspended

had the same problem, I heard of a company that made a devise that changed the pulse signal into a cable drive signal for the speedo, but every where I looked, Couldnt find it. The closest I came was a place that went out of business. I couldn't find anything else that would work and I liked. I ended up using new electronic gauges from Classic instruments. for me it was the best choice. they work great and I get tons of compliments.
Attached Images

mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
r&r419

Thanks Mrhino! I have read you build thread twice now! LOL. I think I have made up my mind to just go with all new electonic gauges... It will probably be the cheapest route also! I have a 72' SWB with a Vortec 5.0 and 4L60E in it, and wish I could go through the harness such as you did. I will just have to wait and get a painless kit or something. My biggest mind teaser right now is which drop to go with.... I don't want the truck to be " Slammed ", but I also don't want it to look like a 3/4 ton. LOL. I think I will just go with the 4/6 drop kit from ECE. I want to be able to run some 17/18's on it, and it not have to much rake. Thanks again.