The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Would anyone be sble to give me the Trailing arm crossmember demensions? Please!!!

Hey guys I was going to try to take the rear suspension off of an old '66 and put it on my '81 but I was wondering if someone would be willing to give me some demensions before I get too deep.

What is the length, width and height of the trailing arm crossmember?

What is the distance between the trailing arms on the axle?

How long are the trailing arms?

If anyone could help me with these measurements I would greatly appreciate it. I would measure them myself but the 66 I am looking at is a long ways away, 3 ft deep in weeds, rattle snakes, etc. Plus I can't bust out the torch until we get some rain!

THANKS GUYS!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
steverino66

Re: Would anyone be sble to give me the Trailing arm crossmember demensions? Please!!

Here's the best I could get:
crossmember at front of trailing arms:
measuring front to back on bottom edge: 4.75"
width across truck side to side, at center to center of rivets holding crossmember to frame: 31"
height of crossmember inside frame: 5.75"

length, front to back of trailing arm, measuring bottom edge and along the curve and including bracket to front trailing arm crossmember: 58-1/4"

distance between u-bolt centers holding trailing arms on rear axle: 41.5"
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
kieth

Re: Would anyone be sble to give me the Trailing arm crossmember demensions? Please!!

I have never been sure but is a lwb truck and a swb truck, is everything the same, my lwb truck has a carrier bearing while my swb fleetside does not. Another thing, since you are installing the trailing arm suspension be sure and move the rear axle back about 1.5", this will center your rear axle in the fenderwell and leave room for larger diameter wheels and tires.......thats the one thing I wish I had done to mine before finishing it. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
Hey guys I was going to try to take the rear suspension off of an old '66 and put it on my '81 but I was wondering if someone would be willing to give me some demensions before I get too deep.

What is the length, width and height of the trailing arm crossmember?

What is the distance between the trailing arms on the axle?

How long are the trailing arms?

If anyone could help me with these measurements I would greatly appreciate it. I would measure them myself but the 66 I am looking at is a long ways away, 3 ft deep in weeds, rattle snakes, etc. Plus I can't bust out the torch until we get some rain!

THANKS GUYS!
The T/A x-member could slip right up between the rails of your 81 because the inside dimensions of the frames are the same. That being said, it won't work because the frame 'kicks-up' in a different location starting in 73 which requires the T/A x-member & mounting location to be slightly under the truck vs centered in the rails.

You'd be ahead of the game to purchase a T/A conversion x-member designed specifically for a 73-87. CPP & Porterbuilt have them w/PB's offering greater adjustability.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate yall taking time to help me out.

I looked at cpp and they don't carry anything for 73-87 trucks. Porterbuilt hasn't started mass producing their crossmember yet so I'm still on the drawing board. Any other suggestions?

What about using the crossmember and making my own trailing arms...?

Last edited by Hazieview; 09-20-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate yall taking time to help me out.

I looked at cpp and they don't carry anything for 73-87 trucks. Porterbuilt hasn't started mass producing their crossmember yet so I'm still on the drawing board. Any other suggestions?

What about using the crossmember and making my own trailing arms...?
http://www.classicperform.com/6092chevtrk.htm#44

You're not looking hard enough: p/n 7387TAC Conversion kit w/o arms

Did you speak w/PB directly? I know they're not advertising the x-members, but he might be able to get you specifics.

If it were me (& I planned to do this swap on my 74 @ one point in time), I would opt for buying the conversion x-member to use w/stock truck arms before I would mess w/modifying a OE x-member to work w/custom built arms.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Woogeroo

manuals are your friend.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
manuals are your friend.

-W
???
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG