The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
FFredo

Re: New tires and C notch yesterday

Yeah I think that includes modern tie rod ends, correct pitman arm and what not. No shocks. Give him a call, he's a great guy and more than willing to talk you through all of your options. I maybe wrong on what is all included because he was tossing a lot of info my way while I was at the office and suposed to be working.....
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Everything I've read is do NOT buy a monoleaf. They (like ALL leaf springs) are subject to breakage. Break it and you've got zero keeping you from bottoming out. If that happens at speed? You're in BIG trouble...and so is everyone around you.
Hey Dan, I hesitate to even mention this because I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on this subject. But, I wonder if you're thinking of steel or composite mono-leafs? I don't know the percentage (I suppose a Google search would tell) but I'd say at least 50% of the tractor-trailers on the road today use Mono-leaf suspensions, more on trailers. BUT most are composite.
Even on Eaton's website (Eaton sells steel multi leaf springs) they admit: "The composite mono-leaf spring is a completely different animal in its composition and it works. It is extremely rare for composite springs to suffer catastrophic failures."
Like I said, don't mean to start a debate on a subject that I know little about and don't really have an opinion on. Just throwing that out there. I only mention it because I drove over-the-road tractor trailer for several years and I traveled many miles at 80,000 lbs on composite mono-leaf springs and I don't remember ever hearing of a failure.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
Dan in Pasadena

[QUOTE=63 & 64 Bowties;4918431]....I don't mean to start a debate on a subject ...[/QUOTEn

And I didn't mean to start one either. Maybe I stated my opinion too strongly.

If someone wants to use a mono leaf, by all means go ahead. Maybe its because I've gotten older or something but I'll pass since lowering multipacks are readily available and for the same money; I'll go that way. For me personally, I'd have greater peace of mind.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #29
FFredo

Got the c notches finished today. I was also able to mock up the new tank (between the frame rails).I still need to fab up some straps and I need to get the correct filler tube since I do not want to come up into the bed. I want to see if I can source a short 90* filler so I can come out in the new flatbed frame rails. All in all a pretty productive day. My bigest problem is that I can no longer see out of my welding helmet so some of my welds look like a blind man made them..Funny because a blind man did make them.. I had a much smaller dock bumper sitting in the weeds. so I replaced the industrial model, a little paint some new trailer lights for temp work and I think it looks much better.
Next week pull a cpl of leafs in the front and finish installing the new tank.

YAY ME!!!

Last edited by FFredo; 09-25-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #30
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Looks great and it looks like we have the same tank. I will say one thing by the size of you mig gas cylinder it does not look like you will need gas any time soon. That thing is huge.lol My tig cylinder looks about that size 125?
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #31
FFredo

kabwe;
Thanks, everytime I get one more thing done it motivates me a bit more.
yeah that bottle is huge, almost 5 feet at the valve. I don't mind that it takes forever to run out of gas. But when it comes time to buy gas I almost need to sell blood. Then of course it makes it a bear to move my mig around out side. It's about a 50 foot run from my garage to where I have the truck. All of it is decomposing asphalt. I've almost droped that sucker a cpl of times.
The bottle on my TIG is the same size but the tig never leaves the garage.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #32
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well it looks like you been very motivated lately because are getting a lot done. Great job and keep it up.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #33
Daze57

Looks Sharp !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #34
Dan in Pasadena

Fredo,
That looks great. You're motivating me to get moving.

Wouldn't ordinary aluminized exhaust tubing work for your 90 degree bend? I know they're available in a lot of pre made bends. Did you see JJ's (Chuckdriver's) tank installation? It IS in the bed but its in a nice looking recess. I know he got the tank from Tanks, Inc. I THINK he got the recess piece there too. I'm planning on copying his installation.

Hey can I hijack just for a minute? I've got the EXACT same Hobart welder. I bought it used and have not tried using it yet. I finally got around to buying everything (I think) I need for it except the tank/gas. I know to buy "mig gas" - 75/25 argon/CO2. And I think I know to buy .023 wire. Is it a simple question to ask what settings you're using for sheet metal repair? I really need to start repairing and I've been procrastinating cause I know its gonna frustrate me to be a lousy welder!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #35
FFredo

Gas tank install finished. I got the strapping from a local sheat metal shop. I asked the forman if I could check behind the shear and found 8' X 1 1/2 " of 16 gauge galv. Perfect!! they would not ake any money but I'll stop by later with a case of cokes and a box of doughnuts for the shop.
I used 2X3X1/8' box tubing for the rear section to close in the frame. The tank fits snug against the leather pads I added. Strap channel is from home depot and EXSPENSIVE AS HECK!!! But I wanted to get it done so I bit the bullet and paid the 14 bucks for 3 feet of it.

Last edited by FFredo; 09-28-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #36
Dan in Pasadena

Looks fantastic! Huge congrats.

What is "strap channel"? I'm not understanding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #37
Dan in Pasadena

Oh, now I see. The very shallow channel the strap is in on top of the tank. Did you mention where you got your tank? How many gallons?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #38
FFredo

Dan, I found the tank at a local swap meet. I bought it as new in the box for about 50% off new. (Tanks inc dot com) It came with the filler tube and pick up. I had the sender in a old tank here at the house. It's 16 gals.
I need to replace the filler tube with a very very tight 90* so I can place the gas cap on the side of the flatbed frame.