The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Rooster144

Carburator issues

I have a 71 Chevy with the original 350, bored .060 over with Edelbrock Performer camshaft and lifting kit, intake and a Carter AFB carb I have been having problems with and I am unsure of what to do next.
I just can't seem to keep it running. I was having problems with the idle, in that it would idle great but die when I put the truck in gear. I rebuilt the carburetor and now hear a whistling sound (vacuum leak?) coming from the back that I believe is due to the fact that the rebuild kit came with thin paper gaskets rather than the thick felt one I took off. I don't believe that the timing is correct and have been told that I cannot use a timing light because of the cam.
I am by no means a mechanic but have never had this much difficulty figuring an engine out. Can someone give me some advise on properly timing the truck and does anyone have any experience with the new Edelbrock rebuild kits and do you think I should try to use the old (thicker) gasket between the carb and the intake?

"The trouble with ignorance is it picks up confidence as it goes along; if you can't wheel the thing, you are just going to get into deeper trouble with a bigger truck."
Rooster144 is offline   Reply With Quote