The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
darkone

what to fill my wood mistake with? something durable, carpenters chime in

Hey all, we buggered up my 2 outside boards and put a quarter inch groove the length of the board in the wrong spot. We flipped it over and now this groove will be on the backside hidden. I feel like this groove should be filled with something though for the added stregth? What would you recommend, and at what stage should I add the said filler. After sealer? Before? The wood is mahogany. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
OldBlue70C20

Re: what to fill my wood mistake up with? something durable, carpenters chime in

Why couldn't just plain a quality piece of wood down to the same thickness as the depth that your groove is, then rip a 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick strip off, glue it in being careful not to get the glue on the top side, sand it down to match the original board and then stain / seal which ever your are doing.

Just my thoughts, but I am not in any way an expert and have never worked with a wooden bed.

Tim

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 09-29-2011 at 07:53 PM.
OldBlue70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
slomotion
Old Duffer

Re: what to fill my wood mistake with? something durable, carpenters chime in

I'm guessing you're not going to be using a mahogany floor for work, so strength isn't a real problem. I think I'd rip down a piece of clear pine, stain it to match the finished mahogany, (use a piece of your cut off mahogany and put a few coats of finish on it to see what the final color will be,) then stain the pine for as close a match as you can get. Glue in the pine strip with epoxy, or Titebond II, then finish it all together. Another (easier option if they're nearby) would be a piece of mahogany decking from Home Depot or Lowe's, and rip down a strip to glue in. If it's going to be on the bottom, a perfect match won't be critical.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I dont think anything is necessary for strength with a groove that small.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
longbed67

Big Problem with clear pine being glued to mahogany... I have built many customs doors out of it for Victorian homes in the area, Mahogany is a porous wood that is non resinous and clear pine is a closed grain wood that is resinous. bonding, staining, and wood density characteristics are VERY different, as well with time and not as long as you would think it will split apart. While Doug Fir is resinous tree I have had very good experiences using that for lamination on top of mahogany and staining and finishing characteristics are nearly indistinguishable between the two. The densities are very similar as long as you are using heart wood. The photo I attached is of a 140 year old exterior door that is built of mahogany that I laminated with doug fir because my supplier of mahogany ran out and didnt know how long it would be to get it in.
Attached Images

longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
longbed67

Oh yeah Do NOT use titebond II or Elmers wood glue! it is for interior use ONLY... Titebond III is for marine and exterior use, it is what I use on my cedar-strip canoes that I build. West systems is also a great product, just be sure to coat with spar varnish as Epoxy is prone to break down by UV light and the elements if not coated with a marine grade finish.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Flip her over & forget about her .....just like we did the women in the younger days I doubt that it will cause a prob, that outer board will be about 3/4" under the lip? Understand this.....a good carpenter just buries his mistakes! best of fun,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
darkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
Oh yeah Do NOT use titebond II or Elmers wood glue! it is for interior use ONLY... Titebond III is for marine and exterior use, it is what I use on my cedar-strip canoes that I build. West systems is also a great product, just be sure to coat with spar varnish as Epoxy is prone to break down by UV light and the elements if not coated with a marine grade finish.
what about gorilla glue? im quite fond of this stuff though its a bit messy if theres too much of it. also, there will be little to no uv exposure on this glue in piece. thanks for the info guys!
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
Oh yeah Do NOT use titebond II or Elmers wood glue! it is for interior use ONLY...
Quoting directly from the Titebond II label/directions; "Titebond II Premium Wood Glue is the leading, one-part wood glue designed specifically for both interior & exterior woodworking projects. It is ideal for outdoor furniture, birdhouses and planters, and is FDA approved for indirect food contact (cutting boards)." The label goes on to say it is water resistant, resists solvents, heat, and mildew, and one of the real bonuses (to me) it is non-toxic, and water clean-up. I will agree that I would not use it below the waterline of a vessel because it's "water resistant" not water proof. Having said all that, I have used the product inside and out and have yet to experience a failure in the glue joint. The wood itself has failed before the joint has.
Geez! quite the commercial, and I don't even have a stake in Franklin International!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
longbed67

Yeah it says that on the label, but call the company and talk to the techs and they say if your going to use it in any exterior application use titebond III. on top of it, is it really worth risking it for an extra $1.50 a bottle... gorilla glue is messy, and in my experience it breaks down in about 2 years of being outside and it is not nearly as strong of joint when gluing wood.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
slomotion
Old Duffer

My bad, I thought we were talking about gluing in a 1/4" strip of wood that won't be seen into the underside of a pickup bed.
Sorry....

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

fixall

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

just make sure it has finish on it...no need to fill anything unless it will drive you completely insane knowing it's there.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #14
odog

I agree with Sequoyah unless you are totally anal and will be driven nuts by the fact that you know it isnt right, dont worry about it. A small grove wont hurt anything if it is on the bottom and an outside board. You said it was Mahagony so I am guessing you wont be hauling firewood or rocks in the bed so weight on the board shouldnt be a problem. Just seal it up extra well when you finish the wood to lessen chances of moisture causing it to crack. If you have to fill it in for your own piece of mind and a new board is out of the question, use doug fir, it is hearty and joints well, also use titebond III as your glue.