The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
69C10@16

Help!

I want to start with pointing out my poor choice of user name 4 years ago... I'm 20 now. lol. Dumb Kids.......

Anyways,

I FINALLY have a good paying job and parts for the old restoration project are finally starting to stack up in boxes awaiting their friends still to come to get this project out of the garage and onto the road. HOWEVER, I canNOT decide how much I want to lower it OR how I want to do it. I like the stance of the truck in the pic below.... Does anybody own it or know how it's set up?

My biggest question is bags... or springs/spindles...

I saw an air ride kit that does a 3 to 4 inch drop... I know bags are more money but I don't want that "Lumber Wagon" ride that is so commonly known of trucks that have lowering springs. Anybody got lowering springs and a still decent ride comfort?

If I go with bags what brand names are trustworthy but not so expensive that I feel like I'm just "Paying for the name"?

Will bags squat worse than springs when I get on the throttle at a car cruise? If so can that be compensated for?

I know guys it's a LOT of questions but hey, that's what is so awesome about the community here... You can ask and not get criticized... Because when you ask a question the folks here don't think of you as an idiot... You're considered a student. Well guys, PLEASE teach me.

69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Help!

Well at least you'll be sixteen for ever.

Can't offer too much help here as I've not been able to do any of this yet on mine, but in my case I will be going with bags as I still want to be able to haul stuff to the dump etc, and bags will be better suited to that...i'll either use "Suicide Doors" or "Ride Tech" for for that.
For a static drop your best bet is ECE, you hear only good things about them from the guys on here that have dealt with them, and they sell quality stuff.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
dbstepside

i don't know if it will help but that truck is on the cover of a catalog i have from southern kentucky classics. they have a few trucks on thier webpage not sure if that is one of them the page wasn't loading right for me. i tried to get the info you wanted about the truck. but i don't know what you're looking for but if only wanting a 3/4 drop i think you would just want a static drop.you can buy a good quality set of coils and shocks and truck will ride good. i mean why spend money on bags if not wanting to go all the way down to ground level. most bagged trucks i see drive at the hieght of that black truck.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
nibs
JRods Garage

Spend the extra for bags if you really want them. I have 2 vehicles on air in my garage, including my daily driver, and i could not be happier. There really isnt a place that sells them more expensive because of the name. You just spend more for the better technology. you can spend upwards of 5-7K on a full digital setup from AirRide Technologies, but you are getting some of the best things to come.

I personally built both my systems from scratch from a mixture of places including *****************, airbagit.com, ebay, etc... Some bad purchases were made, but hey, its a learning thing!

A good knowledge of how the air suspension systems work is a absolute MUST in my books before you even start buying stuff though. If something were to break while out and about, then you are up ____ creek without a paddle(I will let you fill in the blank) I believe its a very simple system. Have any questions, feel free to PM me. I can get you going down the right road!