The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
flashdad

Baby won't start

Restoring my 67 LB and bought a new battery today. It started ok about 5 months ago (taking a while to restore it!). Replaced ignition switch with new. Hooked up batt and nothing. Removed paint on ground cable at alt and still nothing. Put screw driver to starter and got sparks. Any ideas? I mean it's not turning over, clicking, anything. It's like theres not even a batt hooked up except the sparks I got from the starter. Please help!
Thanks,
Flashdad
'10 Mustang

"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne
flashdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Baby won't start

I was going to suggest neutral safety switch but looks like you have a manual so no go there.
What have you changed in those 5 months?
When you put the screwdriver to the starter did it turn over? Man I hope you had that thing in neutral when you did that, gives me the chills. Not calling you stupid, just thinking of all the stupid things I have done...
Have you verified that the battery is fully charged? A few sparks can be caused by a couple volts.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
flashdad

The only thing I changed was the ignition switch (bought new one). I've repainted everything in the engine compartment and was thinking maybe not getting ground. It's on blocks without wheels, so not an issue...even though it was in neutral. I even tried turning on the heater (key on and heater control to full) and nothing. I'm thinking it's somewhere in the ignition, but not sure how to check stuff with a volt meter or whatever.
'10 Mustang

Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
flashdad

Also, battery is brand new, checked the fuses (all good), replaced ground wire with new and inspected starter wires - no issues there as far as I could tell. What else can I check to narrow where the problem may lie?
'10 Mustang

Old 10-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Look at the small wire running from the + terminal. You may have a burned fusible link, or its not hooked up.

You say it acts like no battery so I'm guessing no lights, horn, or anything.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
Look at the small wire running from the + terminal. You may have a burned fusible link, or its not hooked up.
This is what I was thinking. The little wire from the + has a fusible link in it and runs to a little "distribution" block on the pass. fender. Pretty much everything depends on that one wire!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
MikeyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
This is what I was thinking. The little wire from the + has a fusible link in it and runs to a little "distribution" block on the pass. fender. Pretty much everything depends on that one wire!
I've had issues with the little wire at the distribution block.
Everything goes dead. Still happens every once in a while.
When it does, I turn on the headlight switch and wiggle the wires at the distribution block until I see my lights come on. Then it fires right up.
Once spent over an hour in a parking lot trying to jump start, beating on the starter, even swapping batteries. One little wire can create a lot of headaches.
Check the distribution wire(s) and fusable link.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
72gmguy

If it isn't the little wire and the starter just sparks when you jump the solenoid you could just have a bad starter.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Shyguy

You said you changed the ignition switch, maybe it is a bad one. Did you change the switch or just the tumbler setup?

You can disconnect the wires from the back of the switch and with a voltmeter or test light see if any of them are hot pretty easy, this will tell you if there is power coming from the battery.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Tim Christian

I would say ign. switch also. Did your old one work? If so unplug from the back of the new one and plug the old one back in (with it just haning there) and give that a try.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
flashdad

I will try all of the above. I know I've got the inner and outer fenders off and that junction block is just hanging there. I had my son ground the block and tried it but still no go. I'll go out and check the wires and and the ignition with my little meter and let you know the results.
Thanks
'10 Mustang

Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
flashdad

ok, first off, there is no wire on the positive going to the starter. the junction block is on the drivers side and has a red wire going to it from the wire bundle that has the headlights. the red wire goes into the junction box and terminates, then there is a blue wire going out from the junction box and it is cut off at the end without exposed wires. I'll get somke pics when I go back out.
'10 Mustang

Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
flashdad

Checked old ign switch - same result. Checked the ign plug resistence with the multimeter: results - brown/white wire (top of plug) 7 to 8, purple - 3, pink - 3, green - no change like the meter wasn't connected, brown - 40. So I'm gettin resistence, but what does this indicate? I'm an electrical tester virgin and still trying to learn how to check this crap. The positive cable from batt to starter is good (zero), the two wire going to solenoid is good as well. See pics below of junction box, starter and regulator.

Name:  10-2-2011 529.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  46.1 KB
hard to see but junction is in the middle of pic with the two wires going into it with the dead end blue wire laying on top.

Name:  10-2-2011 530.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  10-2-2011 532.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  51.9 KB

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I'm so fracking close to finishing this project and don't want this to hold me up.
'10 Mustang

Old 10-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
71swb4x4

That is not your junction block it is your voltage regulator. There should be a block on the passenger fender near the battery, it is basically one bolt with the insulator between the bolt and the fender.
IIRC the positive terminal on the battery should have two wires leaving it, one huge one going to the starter and a second smaller one going to the block on your passenger fender. Do you have both those wires?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Tim Christian

You have to have a hot wire from the battery going to the junction block in order for your switch to work.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
flashdad

Yeah, plugged blue dead end wire from junction box (pic 1) into posi batt cable and it turned right over. Pic of regulator was included (pic 2) just for reference. Turning over now, but not starting. Gas going to filter but not into carb. Tried blowing through fuel line into carb and it's not getting through. Guess I'll have to pull and tear carb down. Thanks for all the help - maybe I'll still stay on schedule! Thanks again, guys. I appreciate it. Flashdad
'10 Mustang