The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Ironhorse

67-72 Corner speaker brackets install

Finally got to start the install on these late this afternoon on my '71 4x4 long bed. Removed the retractable seat belts and the custom seat for better access and view. Right now they are just loosely fitted into the corner, hope to actually get busy tomorrow and get them fastened in. Plan is to fill the upper cab corner cavity on both sides with insulation and also use a foil wrapped 1/4 " bubble wrap insulation in the actual corner behind the speaker to help the Pioneer 150W tri-axial 6x9's. Bear in mind I am not a for real audio expert so I'm kinda' going on the rough here. Any one who has some tips or better thoughts than my self feel free to join in.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: 67-72 Corner speaker brackets install

Looking forward to the installation, and feedback of course!

I think if you just covered the cab steel in dynamat (or similar), you would get very good sound. Wouldn't hurt to line the back of the brackets either. It is self adhesive, and very easy to install.

Paint those suckers matching blue, they will look great.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Ironhorse

For the time being I need to set this install on the back burner due to some issues going on. Will get back to it as soon as get some things cleared up.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 09-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Okay, finally was able to get back to the install on the corner speaker brackets I purchased from bigblock73. Hope the pictures help. Will try and give some things I found as I went.

The first pick shows using masking tape to mark where the bracket needs to mount so it is "plumb" and not leaning in or out. Sorry but I turned the camera to show full heighth and not smart enough to figure out how to "rotate" the pic.

Second pic shows after I drilled the floor for the well-nuts Jeff supplied with the install kit. I lost one and had to go for a replacement. When I bought a replacement I went up one step in size to a 10-24 size. Mostly because my truck has 1/4" bubble insulation and a rubber mat on the cab floor and the
3/4" screws included weren't long enough. No problem if going to a bare floor. Also I placed a large washer around each well-nut and used sliicone sealer under them.

Third pic shows using masking tape to "spot" where I need to drill for the upper mount screw.

Fourth pic shows the angle bracket after I attached it to the floor and mounted it loosely before I actually installed the speaker bracket. Installed the bracket at the top and then fastened at the bottom. Did have to do a little bit of file work at a spot or two but nothing serious.

More to come, next post.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Ironhorse

5th pic with the bracket mount installed I used masking tape again to gauge where the best mounting area was to get maximum edge margin for the Pioneer 6x9's. Moved the speaker up to full travel within the cut out, marked it, then down to full travel within the cut out, then side to side for same. Split the differance with the speaker by marking the center of the travel ine limits. Marked the speaker mount holes with a pencil, used a spring loaded center punch to mark with so drill bit would not walk on me.

Next pic shows the speaker mounted using # 8 x 1" drill screws. Drilled the holes undersized and then screwed the fasteners in so to "cut" threads as it goes in.

Last pic shows the grill installed with the bracket competed. Still need to remove, de-burr, clean, prime and paint the brackets but that's another day. Now need to find best way to mount my Polk 5 1/4" speakers under the dash as don't want to cut door holes or use kick panels. Just personal choice on my part.

Most likely not the best write-up on this but then again, I'm not a tech manual writer either. Should give the general idea of how I did it. All in all very satisfied with Jeff's solutions for corner speaker mounts. Again, WILL NOT work with in-cab tank still installed.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Ironhorse

Still need to clean and vacumn the area, get some Dyna-mat or similar material and install that. Run my 12 gauge speaker wire into the corner and under the door strip. Also will use Jeff's idea of the door edge guard strips to cover the "raw" edges best I can. Being back behind the seat as it will be I don't think it will show really bad. Will also need to do some paint touch-up on the inner cab back panel as I scrapped it a bit. More to come as I get time to get back at it.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 09-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Waiting on mine, thanks for the pics.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
nick martorano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Still need to clean and vacumn the area, get some Dyna-mat or similar material and install that. Run my 12 gauge speaker wire into the corner and under the door strip. Also will use Jeff's idea of the door edge guard strips to cover the "raw" edges best I can. Being back behind the seat as it will be I don't think it will show really bad. Will also need to do some paint touch-up on the inner cab back panel as I scrapped it a bit. More to come as I get time to get back at it.
Are you done with the installation now and are you completely happy with the corner speaker brackets. How about the sound? Where did you get the corner brackets and how much were they? I am finishing up my 68 build and will be doing the sound system this coming week.

Thanks for your help!
nick martorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Nick, BigBolck73, the guy in the second post is the one making and selling these.

They fit great, and look great.
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Ironhorse

Not quite done with the installation as of yet. Been working on my '71 Chevelle, out of town for awhile and family commitments have slowed the processs. Hope to get it finished this week at least for the corner brackets. As for the brackets themselves, top notch work on these. Jeff, bigblock73, did a great job in fitting to the cab corners. You DO have to have the in-cab tank moved as the brackets WILL NOT, WILL NOT, fit with the tank still in place.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks