The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
rddaves54

VIN number

I located a Chevy truck with vin number H255A026138 how can I find out what this means and if it is the correct vin? It is on inside of driver door. There are no numbers under hood. What year is it and things like that?

Tire size is 6.50 X 16 does that size mean it is a 3/4 ton. It has a inline six.

I am thinking about buying and it look pretty solid. How do I determine value?

Thanks

John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

My Book "Why Cancer is Not Bad Luck" by WestBow press
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Maximus

Re: VIN number

There are websites with full breakdowns but they don't tell you much. I think the H stands for 3100 somehow, the 2 should be 2nd series, the 55 is the year, the A is the plant of manufacturing and the rest is the manufacture #

Looks like a 55' 2nd series 3100. Built in 'a' plant. When I get near a computer I'll post you a link. But these vins didn't tell much

the H in the VIN stands for 1/2 ton, so if the vin is factory, it was a 1/2 ton truck

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Maximus; 10-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Maximus

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/VIN.htm <-- here is a link to validate my babble.
A - Atlanta, Georgia was the factory

as for locations, vin number was on the drivers side front windshield piller, spot welded on. and on the frame in 2 places, 1st (if the frame is unmodified) The top of the frame rail, drivers side near the steering box under in the engine compartment. the 2nd location is very hard to see on an assembled truck... its under the cab, also drivers side but near where the factory brake booster mounts.

I cant help ya on value though, i have never looked into selling mine.

one thing the vin won't tell in 1955 is if it was a deluxe (Big rear window) cab, or even a Cameo. these play an obvious role in value.

Rusty major projects in my area sell from $500-$2500 but a running car in decent shape can start around $6 and go well over 20k depending on the condition.

Photos will help people determine value.. Good Luck!!

the truck you are looking at is the 2nd series '55, the first of the Task Force trucks, it is the only task force truck that shares the VIN numbering system with older trucks. After '55 they re-worked the VIN system
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
rddaves54

here are pictures
Attached Images

John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

My Book "Why Cancer is Not Bad Luck" by WestBow press
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote