The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Certain MPH Wobble?

Well I got my new tires 31x10.5R15 on my 88 on Thursday. Since then at 34mph the front tires wobble. If I go slower it stops, if I go faster, it stops. The alignment guy at the shop checked the front end before I got my tires and I watched and shook with him and everything was tight. It has been getting worse. Today I pulled over because it was really bad. I should the steering shaft(rag joint one)and it had about 1/4 inch of play just like the steering wheel. Also, when it happens I feel a slight clicking in the steering wheel. What could this be? Thanks, Bradley

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
379redneck

Re: Certain MPH Wobble?

Chaeck your steering stabilizer. We had this problem with an 86 overweight dually. The stabilizer was banged up so much from being in the woods it wasnt doing anything and letting it do a death wobble. The rod in it was bent so it would only go in about half way, but it didnt haave resitance. We put the skyjacker dual stabilizer kit on it and it went away. It did it for us when we hit bumps the right way. We ahd to slow down to 25 or slower to make it stop.

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
379redneck

We didnt have a clicking in the steering wheel tho, so that very well may be it.

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Thanks man, that's what I've been thinking and my dad keeps saying no.

Miss having a truck
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The first thing I would do is to swap the front tires to the rear and re-test. If it still has the wobble, I would try a different pair of tires on the front. Try to borrow something that is comparable in size.
I have seen cases where a certain tire would "bother" some trucks. It's just the dynamics of how the tread contacts the road. Usually it manifests as a funny pull but I have seen wobbles too. But then you could bolt them onto a different truck and nothing?
If it started with the new tires.....it is the tires (somehow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Thanks guys, I bought a new stabilizer yesterday. I need to rotate the tires to see if it changes. But I have one jack and no level ground to use wood blocks or anything on. So I have to go back and have them rotate them. >:|

Miss having a truck
Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Replaced the steering stabilizer finally. I've only had it for a week and a half lmao. The old one had no resistance what so ever. It was terrible. And I thought maybe it had like air pockets in it because at times when I was turning it would feel smooth, then stiff, then smooth. It does. So much better now. No more wobble. Now I just need to get the truck aligned and lead weights on the wheels/tires.

Miss having a truck
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Altec
Getcha Pull

So, the tires weren't balanced when you were reporting your original wobble issue?
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

They were, but with liquid balance.

Miss having a truck
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
triggerthetruck

Hi Bradley...your thread just alerted me to a potential solution to my problem..which is immense and sudden wheel shake...which I have been assuming was chassis flex...but maybe I need a new steering stabiliser... The clicking I had on my steering wheel was the lower bearing to the staeering shaft where it exits the cab...mine started to get rusty and I put some grease in it....but finally it fell apart and I have a new kit to install very soon. Could be that? Andrew
triggerthetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I don't see how a bad stabilizer can cause extreme wobble. It must be something else causing it. The stabilizer is an add-on to assist if reducing side to side motion caused by the road and will help when steering/suspension parts are worn. But a stabilizer won't cause wobble. Heck.until '72 GM 4wds didn't even come with them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

FYI the stabilizer is only a band aid. If it wobbled before, and went away when you replaced the stabilizer it will be back...with a vengeance as it will only mask the real problem and give it time to wear and get worse.

Line the truck up, balance the wheels properly, and see how it does, I would even go as far as to disconnect the stabilizer and be sure the issue is gone.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
triggerthetruck

Hi ...well I think I just fixed what I found out is called death wobble... Its worth Googling it...and there are even Youtube clips to watch! I think Ive fixed it by making sure everything is tight and sweet underneath...EVERYTHING!! If it moves...not in the right way..REPLACE IT....or tighten it up.
In my case it seems it was just a little too much play in the steering box. I have to get a new steering damper and thats on order, but, having had another thread going elsewhere on this site Ive found out a lot of things I didnt know....basically check everything. In your case I think it likely to be true that a steering damper will maybe apply a bandaid to the problem, but it wont cure it if other things are wrong...and steering is one of those things thats quite important on a vehicle.
triggerthetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
b454rat

A buddy of mine and myself had a problem like this. His was a 97-98 dually, mine was a 97 HD. Mine had low miles, both trucks well taken care of. Both steering was tight, tires properly balanced. Turned out to be the CV shafts. Was fine and lower speeds, get near 35 it would wobble, speeds after that it was fine.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
bikes&bowties

Yeah I don't see it being the stabilizer because I don't even run one on my crewcab with a 9 inch lift and 37's. It drives just fine...
Posted via Mobile Device
bikes&bowties is offline   Reply With Quote