The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
FAC

repairing rust with fiberglass

I just picked up a 1960 panel truck and love the thing to death already, but its got some rust issues. I dont' have a welder or know how to weld, so I was wondering if I could fix the holes in the floor with some fiberglass cloth or do I need to buy the patch panels and do it "right" I have a good amount of experience with fiberglass repair on boats already. The truck is pretty beat up and has lots of bondo, that is the only reason why I would consider fixing it with fiberglass. Do you think would that be a good option?
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
onequickchevy

Re: repairing rust with fiberglass

I would say no, mainly because it is not a permanent repair, nor is it remotely structural. If all you have is pin holes, or maybe a little larger in the pans, I would say go for it as long as your floor is solid around seat, and seatbelt mounts. Just know it will not last long at all, it's just a band aid fix.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
FAC

well i've got a gaping hole at the floor to rocker transition and where the floor angles up under the pedals so it sounds like a little to much to try and fix, the rest of the floor is pretty good though. I am kind of confused about what patch panels I would need to buy. Is there a good thread about the basics of patch panels specific to these trucks?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Fiberglass and metal patches will eventually fail. The two materials are not compatible so eventually they will separate. If you can't weld, get a buddy that can to do it for you. If thats not an option, your better off cutting the old out and using pop rivits and 3M panel adhesive to bond them together.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree....I would recommend installing the patch panels with pop rivets or screws, and or the 3M panel adhesive. If you use the panel adhesive, be sure to clean the metal down to clean bare steel for the best adhesion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Fiberglass and metal patches will eventually fail. The two materials are not compatible so eventually they will separate. If you can't weld, get a buddy that can to do it for you. If thats not an option, your better off cutting the old out and using pop rivits and 3M panel adhesive to bond them together.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
SchnorrCS

Yeah don't do that. As said above, it's not a matter of if, but when it will fail.
If you can't weld and don't really care alot about looks, it panel bond some patches in and cover the whole thing with fiberglass to seal all the water out. I did this (but welded the steel) on my 65 mustang.
Posted via Mobile Device
SchnorrCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
FAC

I like the idea of bonding the patch panels in. Would bonded seams hold well if i did the prep correctly? and how do I figure out what patch panels I need?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
SchnorrCS

No, bondo won't hold them. Maybe for awhile, but as soon as you put some weight on the floor, and then remove, and then weight again, etc. the bondo would crack and break apart. Not to mention, bondo will absorb water and create more rust.
You want to make sure the patch holds well. Use panel bond. Or weld, or rivet for that matter. The panel bond will probably be the easiest. It's like super industrial superglue. I have an uncle who owns a paint supply shop, and there was a panel bond demo there. They glued to pieces of flat metal together, then tried to break the bond. The steel ripped first.
The idea of putting fiberglass over it is just a way of water proofing. A good coat of POR15 would do the same thing.

NO BONDO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
FAC

okay I think I will go ahead and rivet and use some panel bond. thanks everyone
Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAC View Post
okay I think I will go ahead and rivet and use some panel bond. thanks everyone
I have used the panel bond adhesives for years and highly recommend them. Just be sure to READ the instructions, there different types for different applications. There is even a structural one. make sure to undercoat the bottom side to prevent moisture from getting into the seem and you'll be fine.
There's lots of great support and help in these forums. I know I appreciate the info I've gotten. Great bunch of people here and all willing to help
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
SchnorrCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAC View Post
I like the idea of bonding the patch panels in. Would bonded seams hold well if i did the prep correctly? and how do I figure out what patch panels I need?
Oh Shoot!!!

I was reading BONDO insteaded of BONDING....

Yes, BONDING is good. BONDO is bad. If you do the panel bond, no need for pop rivets. Sorry for the confusion. I suck.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
chainsaw

If you could post some pics of your repair,progress.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
SchnorrCS

Mine?
Sure. I'll have to wait till I get home this evening. Mine's a little different.... It's a quarterpanel on a 65 Mustang, adn welded, not bonded. But same principal....
Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
chainsaw

Actualy I was referring to FAC for pics, as I'm try to see the steps, as I have pinholes and holes about the size of nail heads in my floor. Also no access to a welder. But please post your pics, I'll take all the help I can get.
chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
FAC

I can post some pics when I do it, it wont be for a while though. thanks again