The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
chilihed

would fuel injection solve my cold start problems?

I have a 1970 C10 with a 350/350 combo. I just recently put in a new Holley Avenger carb, and have it tuned to the best of my ability. It is still very cold blooded in the mornings (temp around 30-35*). Once it warms up it runs pretty good, but first thing I can't even get it into gear without dying. I may need a new electronic choke assembly because I can't seem to get the fast idle circuit to set with the choke before start up unless I move it by hand. At the end of the day the question is if I put in one of the TBI conversions like the one from FAST, or Holley, will that solve my cold bloodedness, and driveability issues? Timing is dead on. Float levels are perfect. It's just been a long time since I have fidddled with a carb, and would like to solve the problem without wasting a bunch of time. Ideas????
chilihed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
1968SWBBigBlock

Re: would fuel injection solve my cold start problems?

I am not sure that it will solve your issue - I just read a review of one system that is on the market - I wish I could remember which one - but that was really the one issue that they had was cold start up - very suprising to me
I really want to go FI - I think it is worth some HP and really helps the drivability and fuel mileage.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
k2rm

I installed a Holley avenger MPFI on my 350 about 6 months ago. It fires right up and doesn't stall when cold. It does have all the benefits of a modern FI system in terms of drivability. There are some settings that can help control cold start problems as well such as "coolant enrichment" which can increase or decrease fuel delivery during warm up to prevent stalling.

For reference, I have a 700R4, 4.1 rear end, and 32" rear tires. I cruise at 65 mph, ~2050 rpm, and about 15 mpg. The avenger is self tuning, in that it will get the engine up and running well quickly, but fine tuning is still required for optimal performance. I am still trying to fine tun the timing map.
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
coloradosean2009

Properly adjusted choke would cure your issues. Should start right up and drive away at -15*.

I would keep on tuning.

Sean
1972 C20
2005 4Runner

coloradosean2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
MARKDTN

Yes, FI should greatly help cold start issues. No more pumping the pedal, setting the choke, waiting, flooding, etc.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
cstm68

i was having this problem with my edelbrock 600 in all weather, i just put an electric choke on it and now it fires up with the slightest bump of the key and runs like a top
Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
a_barth

You should be able to tune the carb and get it to run well on cold starts. I know down here we don't get near the cold ya'll do but it still gets cold on occasion. The best way to tune it would be to tune the main circuits of the carb during the middle of the day with the engine warm, then later that evening tune the choke circuit when the engine and ambient air temp. are cold.
a_barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968SWBBigBlock View Post
I am not sure that it will solve your issue - I just read a review of one system that is on the market - I wish I could remember which one - but that was really the one issue that they had was cold start up - very suprising to me
I really want to go FI - I think it is worth some HP and really helps the drivability and fuel mileage.
Yes sir, you have valid points on efi vs carbs, but if you don't mind i have a couple things to add.

My little experience with aftermarket efi multiport systems including Holley and Edelbrock's pro-flo systems. EFI systems do not create more peak horsepower per say, but do provide an opportunity to the tuner to build better under the curve torque and power through the tuning maps. I've found this to be true with both stand alone fuel map systems and full fuel/timing control systems.

You are definitely correct on the driveability and fuel consumption aspect so long as a guy's tuning capabilities are up to par. If they are not, as I unfortunately found through hands-on-learning, a poorly tuned efi map will create more issues and worse performance for the user than a poorly tuned carb both in terms of performance and lack of security of knowing where the problem lies.

What little time I have spent tuning on dynos I have found that what produces impressive numbers (thus marketing and selling points) does not cater to driveability needs. More often crank dyno friendly numbers tend to be found through overly lean, under gased, and overly timed parameters compared to real world, on the street, work loaded comparisons that are not catering to controlled atmospheric conditions.

Unless a guy is looking to run their rig upside down, (from my experience) a properly timed engine and well tuned carb can provide as much performance on the street, in terms of driveability and fuel mileage, as an EFI engine management system. However the carb does tend to give up the under-the-curve power capabilities and off camber performance to a properly tuned efi system.

This has been a test of a local shade tree mechanic. This is only a test.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

Before there was fuel injection there were cold days. A choke was what we had and we used it...sorry grandpaw kicking in
yes, fuel injection would help with your problem but do you really want to spend that kind of money only to fix a cold start issue?
good luck

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
jborders

A properly set up efi system will start great. A properly set up choke probably will also. I have efi from a 92 camaro except with a holley stealth ram intake. Sometimes (in winter) its not started for over a month and will fire right up.
jborders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
chilihed

I think there is something wrong with the choke. It seems that the fast idle cam does not set with the choke unless I manually flip it. I may just get a new choke assembly and try that.
chilihed is offline   Reply With Quote