The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
revedup57

need advice on 'bolt on' IFS,for 57 3100

Hey guys, is there anything such as just a "bolt on" IFS for a 57 3100 series; or want I have to do fab. and welding? Also, can someone tell me what donor trucks I can use for the conversion, because I cant afford to buy a new kit, like Mustang II? I'm not the greatest welder, so doing a clip is out. Thanks.
revedup57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: need advice on 'bolt on' IFS,for 57 3100

Speedway offers a cheap bolt in crossmember for your application. $350, I think. Set up for Mustang II stuff that you can source yourself or buy all new. Tons of options, if you search for it. Or you could swap your body onto an S-10 frame, thats what i'm going to do for my wife with a '47-'53.

I went with a '79 Camaro sub frame in my '59 Apache. Not too difficult if you were to get comfortable welding, or have a friend that welds (as all of my friends have found out!)

Nik
Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
meter swinger

Theres a lot of options out there but, i dont know of a bolt on for these trucks. I think someone on here is doing the 03+ crown vic ifs which is bolt on, but im pretty sure the track width would be too wide. Then Theres the entire frame swap route which would be a lot of work. If you want some intel on the camaro/ firebird clip, checkout a guy called "luxblue" on the H.A.M.B if you can find a welder you might get this done cheaper than you think. I feel your pain on the budget. I'm saving my nickels for a no limit kit, but i may never get there, and wind up doing a clip.
Use the search function on here, and scour the build threads. This should give you a good education.
The hamb, hot rod hotline, hotrod garage, are also good sources of info.
But this one is far and away the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
mr48chev

I haven't seen a bolt on kit for that series truck. The ones that have been out for quite a while are for the AD trucks and the 49/54 Chevy cars.

A few of the guys on here have been using the XJ6 Jag front suspension and steering which unbolts from the Jag as a unit and is fairly simple to hang under one of the Task Force truck frames.

A lot of guys tend to forget that if a guy is asking about a "bolt on" chassis item it may mean that he doesn't have a welder, access to a welder or may not weld. Some also tend to forget that others may not have the same truck budget or possibly the time or shop space to do big modifications to a frame while the take it apart, clean it up, measure, drill and bolt setup can be done in anyone's garage or driveway in a short period of time.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote