The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
55metalmonkey

caddy tail light question

I've seen an image of 89-93 caddy tail lights frenched into the rear stake pockets on a TF truck, but can't seem to find any image of it done. I google searched it and searched the forum and still can't find it, I know it's been done
I'm contemplating doing it on my truck but would like to see what it looks like before I start gathering parts to do it.

Any help finding a pic would be great

Thanks
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: caddy tail light question

Like these?

It's in this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=481598
Kim
Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
lt155ruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55metalmonkey View Post
I've seen an image of 89-93 caddy tail lights frenched into the rear stake pockets on a TF truck, but can't seem to find any image of it done. I google searched it and searched the forum and still can't find it, I know it's been done
I'm contemplating doing it on my truck but would like to see what it looks like before I start gathering parts to do it.

Any help finding a pic would be great

Thanks
How about in a modified 58-59 fleetside box?
Attached Images

lt155ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
55metalmonkey

Yes thats very close to the ones I thought I looked at before, now to decied if thats the way I want to go with it and see if I can come up with a roll pan that looks good with the lights

Thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt155ruck View Post
How about in a modified 58-59 fleetside box?
Uhhh, im in love. You got any more pics of that thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
lt155ruck

Quote:
Yes thats very close to the ones I thought I looked at before, now to decied if thats the way I want to go with it and see if I can come up with a roll pan that looks good with the lights

Thanks
How about a pic of your truck or what you are thinking of putting them into? Just wondering if I have seen your truck around town.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
lt155ruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by meter swinger View Post
Uhhh, im in love. You got any more pics of that thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Which? my daughters hot rod? or the truck? Here is a quick link. I Just got it back from paint so the reassembly begins. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...340046&page=14
Old 11-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
meter swinger

Quote:
Which? my daughters hot rod? or the truck? Here is a quick link. I Just got it back from paint so the reassembly begins. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...340046&page=14
Well the hot rod of course! The bed looks really nice. Looks like a lot of metal work to get the spears out. Love the suspension set up too. That will be awesome when its done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
lt155ruck

Quote:
Well the hot rod of course! The bed looks really nice. Looks like a lot of metal work to get the spears out. Love the suspension set up too. That will be awesome when its done.
Posted via Mobile Device
It was quite a bit. From just above where the spear would be, all the way to the bottom is hammer and dollied and english wheeled to build a new side.A new wheelwell was formed aswell, along with a new rear cap where the lights were sunk. The tailgate is a GMC one with the rolled open oval, but with the GMC removed. It latches with a couple pins that are attached to oval Lokar interior door handle pulls, On the inside of the tailgate. Here is a link to an unmodified tailgate. http://www.nolimitparts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=110601 and the handles http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/int...orhandles.html the are on the inside of the gate.

Last edited by lt155ruck; 11-25-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
lt155ruck

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
And ofcourse
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
meter swinger

Thanks for the info and pics lt155truck. If i ever get up the stones to cut mine up, i'll farm
It out, thats a little beyond my skills.
Love the silver paint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
55metalmonkey

Quote:
How about a pic of your truck or what you are thinking of putting them into? Just wondering if I have seen your truck around town.
You probably haven't seen it around yet, I've been working on it since I bought it just over a year ago. I'll post a few pics. I almost have it ready for paint. I'm on hold till my buddy and I get his 67 Firebird done then it goes to his shop in Sooke.
this is the vid of the frame after I did the subframe

and a few pics the first two are when I first bought it, it looks better in the pics than it really was, lots of hidden hack work. The last two are from a few weeks ago when I rounded the rear corners of the box and got the front bumper straight. the rear is basicly un modified except the rounded box edges so I'm still not sure if the caddy lights will work with the look. might just set in a couple sets of behives in the roll pan but am open to any ideas out there.. one thing I know is I'd like to stay away from LEDs not because I don't like them on some trucks I just don't think they suit this project
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
lt155ruck

Looks sweet, keep up the great work. If you are looking for a different rear suspension setup. I've got a Rbs Obsolete rear leaf setup for sale.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #14
55metalmonkey

I have a s10 posi in the rear with disc brakes right now, the previous owner had it freshly done and didn't get around to install it before I bought the truck from him. he threw in a bunch of new stuff with the truck too and I mean a ton of it, like a new back cab panel to make it a big window, L&R front fiberglass fenders, new rear fender, front I beam axle with new king pins and disc brakes, new AAW wiring kit, all new gaskets and rubber and a bunch of other stuff. my strorage is almost overflowing with all the extra parts I won't be using, also have all the stock stuff I took off. I'm seriously thinking of taking it to the Sannich car show/swap meet next year and sell it all unless someone on used vic puts up a wanted ad.

Still pondering what to do with the rear lights, the more I look into it the more ideas I get
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #15
lt155ruck

Quote:
I have a s10 posi in the rear with disc brakes right now, the previous owner had it freshly done and didn't get around to install it before I bought the truck from him. he threw in a bunch of new stuff with the truck too and I mean a ton of it, like a new back cab panel to make it a big window, L&R front fiberglass fenders, new rear fender, front I beam axle with new king pins and disc brakes, new AAW wiring kit, all new gaskets and rubber and a bunch of other stuff. my strorage is almost overflowing with all the extra parts I won't be using, also have all the stock stuff I took off. I'm seriously thinking of taking it to the Sannich car show/swap meet next year and sell it all unless someone on used vic puts up a wanted ad.

Still pondering what to do with the rear lights, the more I look into it the more ideas I get
The Rbs kit is a bolt in front and rear hanger kit with leaf springs with teflon slides. makes it more of a car like right on our trucks ,you would use your rear. I'm sure if you tossed a bunch of stuff in the new year on usedvic you would purge a bunch of it. Its funny, the more we find on the net the harder to make a decision. TOO MANY choices. Good luck with it. Hope to see it out.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
55metalmonkey

I might keep your kit in mind, I pulled a few leafs and did an axle flip on it, the ride height is perfectly level with the clip install but not sur of the ride quality yet. feels good so far but real world vs shop trials can be different. I keep driving around town and see other 55-57's which are stalled projects, keep resisting the temptation to stop in and ask the guys if they are waiting for parts to surface. don't want to be a jerk about it though. once this one is done the wife suggested I hold the parts and pick up another truck to do..... I'm sure she has alterior motives behind that though ie finnished one his hers and back to the drawing board for me
the big thing is I never get rid of old parts till the project is done.... you never know when your going to change your mind not that I've done that 60-70 times already.