The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
not2oldchevy

Help with flat out C4 IFS on AD

To anyone who has used this kit on an AD did you move the axel centerline or put it in with the measurements in the instructions? Thanks for the help.
not2oldchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
lt155ruck

Re: Help with flat out C4 IFS on AD

I've got one in my 55nd series, I centered it in the wheel opening. Excuse my ignorance, but whats an "AD"?
lt155ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
BigBlocksRule

AD is Advance Design, the name for '47 - '54 trucks.
Kinda like your '55 is a Task Force.
The only other names for models I know of are the '67 - '72's, Glamor Trucks, and of course the Square Bodies. I think GM named the Glamor line but WE named the Square Bodies!!!
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2oldchevy View Post
To anyone who has used this kit on an AD did you move the axel centerline or put it in with the measurements in the instructions? Thanks for the help.
I helped a friend put one in a Ford and the instructions were perfect for centering in the wheel wheel. But I must say that even with great instructions I always tack the clip in and hang the fenders to have a look before I commit to fully welding it in. Its easy to remove tack welds if something is not right. Always do a mock up man its very important.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
But I must say that even with great instructions I always tack the clip in and hang the fenders to have a look before I commit to fully welding it in. Its easy to remove tack welds if something is not right. Always do a mock up man its very important.

Probably one of the best pieces of advice ever given here on the board as far as installing things like front suspensions go.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
not2oldchevy

It is hard to trial fit because you have to cut a section out of the frame to get the crossmember to fit up into the framerail.
not2oldchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2oldchevy View Post
It is hard to trial fit because you have to cut a section out of the frame to get the crossmember to fit up into the framerail.
My point was to follow the instructions and only tack it in. Put the fender on and check to see if you like how the fender sits in the wheel well (I also put it at ride height to take a look) If you do all is good. If you don't like it, its easy to remove the tack and put the crossmember where it needs to be. Its also easy to repair the notch. But if you commit to it without a mock up, you will have a heck of a time getting that crossmember out only to move it a tiny bit.

The instructions for the 50 Ford were perfect, but all builds are different and mock up is everything in my opinion. I don't trust anybody's measurements (especially my own.lol) except for a ball park figure. That's why you mock up everything.

These trucks were all crazy when built. They were farm trucks the wheel base for your truck should be 116. That being said the advance designs I've worked on did not have the rear wheels center in the rear fender so I had to change that. So my wheel base changed, but the 116 still puts in the ball park but I don't trust it.

This is what I've done and it has worked for me. With the fenders on I get a pump bob and hang it so that it is centered in the wheel well. I use a huge straight edge and transfer that center to the frame. Then I find the center of the crossmember and mark that with a marker. I then slid the crossmember in and line up all the marks I've made. Then I cross measure (x pattern) from a point a left and a point b right on both the sides. Only then do I tack the crossmember in, I rehang the fenders put the spindles, rotors, wheel and tires and put the truck at ride height. If I like it I than weld it in. If not I can at least see how much the wheels need to go forward or backwards and remove the tack welds do the whole thing again.lol Personally I have not had to do that but mock up is always a good idea because you never know when you've had a brain crap while measuring.

This is a 46 chevy I had to do this way because some guy did a weird boxing job on the frame and none of the reference points were there.

Here is a AD truck that has a Nova clip that I had to find the axle centerline the same way because who ever install the clip had botched the job and I had to cut the clip out and redo it.

Now there are more ways to do this stuff than I can think of, but my methods work for me because its how my mind works.lol

I hope I helped at least a little bit.

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-07-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
duwem

Also what angle do you put the frame at? 2-3 degrees (as they suggest in the instructions) is a pretty big rake when I did it with my angle finder (which may be +/- 2-3 who knows).

I plan to run either the same size wheels or 2" larger in the rear.
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote