The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Kenwood 4022 displaying "Disc Changer" when it's supposed to be Sirius

Fat chance getting this answered due to age of equipment...

I have an older Kenwood KDC 4022 in my truck, with a Kenwood SR-902 Sirius tuner. Always worked good for me, until tonight. I'd been having a lot of no spark troubles which ultimately led to a new distributor, but I'm wondering, did all that cranking/charging/electrical voodoo tweak my head unit or the tuner box?

It's supposed to be on Sirius, but it's showing up as "Disc Changer", then goes to Aux 1. I tried every option I could remember to try and change it. Now, my truck's been cranked to the point of memory loss many times, but never had this problem before. Only thing I'd have to do is do the presets and sound settings again.

Any ideas? Possible way to reset something, or did one of them get fried stupid?
D-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
86Burban

Re: Kenwood 4022 displaying "Disc Changer" when it's supposed to be Sirius

Does it play Sirius but just not say it? If it is not playing it at all I would think that the wire/connector from the Sirius tuner has come lose either the Siruis Tuner itself and/or the back of the head unit.

If it is playing, just not saying then I think (if I remember correctly from when I had a similiar setup) that you have to hold the "display" button for a few seconds while it is saying Aux 1 then you can cycle through the options of what it should be named.

Not sure...just some thoughts.
86Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
D-Day
Live fast, die young

I checked the DIN cable to/from both the head unit and the tuner, and they still seem tight in there. I'll check them again for lack of anything else to try.

Not getting any input from Sirius, no sound or anything. Would it be possible that there's an option I haven't accessed yet, under the DIN input, for it to register as Sirius and not as Disc Changer/Aux 1? Sort of like an old cable TV/VCR setup and choosing between channel 2 or 3, etc...blast from the past analogy for ya.

Unfortunately I'm getting the bad feeling that maybe one of them got screwed up from the electrical system being strained. But this is a strange way to present itself.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
WAAF
Account Suspended

check the fuse to the tuner
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
D-Day
Live fast, die young

Which fuse and where? Is it in the tuner box, back of the head unit, or...? Nothing in the manual says anything about a fuse. The tuner is powered by the head unit through the DIN cable as far as I know.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
WAAF
Account Suspended

my kenwood(different model) had a mini fuse right under the din plug for the changer/aux cable
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
86Burban

Half way down the page, right side in the "what's in the box" you can get your head unit owners manual. It does say something about changing what displays for wording when in Aux mode...maybe that will work like you mentioned in some manner.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Dkry4kA...ml#details-tab

Short of that it does seem that something may have died. I am assuming you don't have a CD changer, different DIN cord or any other "spare" piece to do some eliminating with...
Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
D-Day
Live fast, die young

It has a mini fuse next to the wiring harness, which I knew of but didn't think it would power a DIN cable since they're on opposite sides of each other. I'm guessing the mini fuse powers the wiring harness for speakers that aren't connected to an amp through the outputs (mine are through an amp). It controls the amp, so that fuse is still good.

Unfortunately I just think my tuner is screwed. On the upside, they're ancient these days and can be had for $10 or so.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
86Burban

Don't know your $ thoughts or not but TSS Radio has the SR903 for only $60...maybe you get it so you know you have a good sat tuner and cable to eliminate that part and if it still doesnt work return it knowing it is your head unit.

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/ke...te-radio-tuner

Although you would have to go talk to Sirius to change your ESN...but I do know folks who have called Sirius in similiar situations and Sirius would swith you to your new ESN so you could test without charging you the "transfer fee" or whatever they call it unless you find out for sure it is the tuner.