The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2003, 03:45 AM   #1
ToonMan

Rob's Rod Shoppe

Some of you may have seen the name Rob's Rod Shoppe before every now and then. So, I thought I would take a minute and explain the details of the Shop I used to have and run, so when you see the name in the future, you will have a better understanding.
Rob.........The ToonMan

Rob's Rod Shoppe History

I started my Hot Rod Shop around 1985, and it really went to town from '87 to '90. From '90 to early '92, I branched out From Hot Rodding Classics, to doing 4x4's; lifts, lights, traction devices, custom bumpers, etc.
Robs Rod Shoppe was started when I lived at home with my parents, and continued to where I am now. Back then my Shop was empty, except for My Cameo, My Panel, and whoever's rig I was working on at the time. I did Body & Paint, along with Suspension Mods, Engine / Tranny swaps, and Parting Out Trucks. I specialized in '55-'59 Chevy & GMC Trucks, but I worked on other classics as well.
Some of the rigs I had built at my shop included a full custom '55 Cameo that had '56 Belair tailights, '81 Pontiac LeMans Dashboard and '73 Chevelle front & rear suspention. A semi modified '58 Cameo with a car 4 speed, 5 lug conversion, & some body & paint. A '57 Chevy pickup - Big window cab swap, V-8 conversion, Car 4-Speed, fuel tank relocation, & Paint. A '55 Chevy Pickup with '76 Chevy Van front suspention. A '49 Chevy Sedan Delivery, a '51 Chevy Sedan Delivery, a '50 Chevy Pickup, '55 Chevy Stepside, and the list goes on. The most important job, to me, was prepping my '56 Cameo for the 1987 Portland Roadster Show where it brought home a second place trophy in the Semi-Modified Pickup Class.
I had a guy named Pat working for me, who did all of the internal engine & tranny work, tune ups, carbs, etc. Rod, was my welding expert, and Justin was another body & paint man. Both of them were part timers, who came to do work when needed. We only worked on rigs that were to be customized, not 'Mechanic' work. I didn't want to fix cars, only Fix Them Up!! One of my biggest jobs was to put an entire '76 Olds Cutlass frame under a '51 Chevy Sedan Delivery. (Not an easy Job)
After a while, I was working on other peoples stuff much more than my own. I got really tired of that!!!!!!! So, I closed up shop in '92. From then on, it was only My rigs, no one else's. I pretty much quit working on my '56 Cameo & '56 Chevy Panel in '92 when my daughter was born. I only worked on building my '77 GMC Jimmy as a BIG 4x4.
By the time Cassi was 7, I once again got the itch to work on my old trucks. My Cartooning Business had begun to take off, and Hot Rods were back in my life!! In 2001 I purchased a '78 Chevy Short Fleetside Pickup to build as a lowrider, and to use as the Shop Truck for Sasquatch Artworks. In that time, Pat had passed away. I didn't realize how much I had relied on him for his mechanical knowledge. I knew my parts of the shop well, but his parts were not-so-good for me. He is sorely missed!!! Now my Shop is stacked full of stuff, the Cameo is buried, as is the Panel. I converted the other half of the shop into my Art Studio, and Robs Rod Shoppe is but a memory. All I have left is a stack of business cards, a hat, and my RRS job forms. I miss doing the work once in a while, but when I do, I visit my good friend John, the 'SpoonMan' at his Shop, The Past Lane , and we have fun!! In Fact, earlier this year, John & I threw a set of Dropped Spindles in to my '78, bringing it down where it needed to be.
My Automotive Cartooning Business now takes presidence, and requires more attention. I still like to work on my own trucks, but, I really enjoy my art! So now I just draw peoples Rods and Customs, instead of building them! Besides, with the art, my hands stay a lot cleaner!! :-)

Enjoy!!!
Rob
Rob The 'TOONMAN '
SASQUATCH ARTWORKS
Custom Automotive Cartoons
www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art
"If You Can Drive It, I Can Draw It!!"

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT
Chevy & GMC truck club

56 Chevy Cameo----Custom, [Turquoise]
67 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside (Black & White)
63 Trailorboat-------Teardrop Style Trailer
69 Honda CM90
ToonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Smile Thanks Rob!

Thanks Rob for the great story! When I get my ride done perhaps I will send you some photos so you can do some "toons" with it! I'd love to see your trucks sometime, could you post a pic once in a while? Best regards, rico_bob

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:01 AM   #3
ToonMan

Thanks!! Glad you liked it!!! Send me your e mail address and I will send you some pics and samples of my latest toons!!!!!!
Toonman56@hotmail.com

69 Honda CM90
Old 01-21-2003, 09:19 AM   #4
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Send photos please

Toonman... rico_bob@hotmail.com

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:03 PM   #5
ToonMan

x

69 Honda CM90
Old 12-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
ToonMan

Re: Rob's Rod Shoppe

Old School!!! It is Rob's Rod Shop now and I restore gas Pumps and Coke Machines!!!

69 Honda CM90