The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #1
gag1025

Upholstery

Now that I have the 1999 Silverado bucket seats and the Jeep console in place in my '53 Chevy truck I am going to have carpet installed (take the seats and console back out). After that I plan on having the door panels upholstered using vinyl and the same material as the seats. Then I plan on having the area (walls behind the seats as well as the headliner done using the seat material. I read somewhere about using ABS plastic as the liner for the upholstery to be glued to. The reason the guy said that he uses the ABS is because you can heat it with a heat gun and form it to any shape you desire. He used this instead of the thick cardboard type paper because the plastic did not warp or absorb moisture like the paper product. Have any of you used the ABS plastic for this purpose?
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
JumboAMONGus

Re: Upholstery

no but sounds like a better idea then cardboard ,,plus should be a better sound deadner too
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
mbgmike

We have used ABS plastic for over 35 years now for this kind of stuff.
You can even press mold one off parts with it. it comes in a variety of thickness. Heating in ovens is the best way to bend it but can be done with guns or heat strips. it machines well also. You have to heat it to around 180 deg to bend and it melts soemwhere around 225 degrees or so. You can even solvent glue it together to where you can hardly see a seam. Great stuff. Don't use your kitchen oven You can even prees mold a complet door panel with arm rests out of it if you want to.Its great stuff I like it. paints well also. If you need any help let me know
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboAMONGus View Post
no but sounds like a better idea then cardboard ,,plus should be a better sound deadner too
probably won't help as a deadner not enough to notice
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
gag1025

Thanks for the information. I probably will seek help from you as I begin this project after the new year. What do you suggest using for insulation and sound deadening material to be placed between the ABS and the truck body?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
Thanks for the information. I probably will seek help from you as I begin this project after the new year. What do you suggest using for insulation and sound deadening material to be placed between the ABS and the truck body?
Their is so many brands now of material I lost track. Everyone is going to reccomend what they used so That may be another question to ask. I would put the material in the door not between the panel if I was doing it. There are just too many good products out there now
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
We have used ABS plastic for over 35 years now for this kind of stuff.
You can even press mold one off parts with it. it comes in a variety of thickness. Heating in ovens is the best way to bend it but can be done with guns or heat strips. it machines well also. You have to heat it to around 180 deg to bend and it melts soemwhere around 225 degrees or so. You can even solvent glue it together to where you can hardly see a seam. Great stuff. Don't use your kitchen oven You can even prees mold a complet door panel with arm rests out of it if you want to.Its great stuff I like it. paints well also. If you need any help let me know
I agree it would be worth the effort. I sm thinking about forming it one section at a time toen bondind them together against a narrow backing strip at the seams. just a thought at this point.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
changethis

Where is a good place to buy the abs?
changethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
gag1025

I can get mine at a place close to where I live. I will put their link in but I am sure there are places like this all over. This particular place was recommended by a friend.

http://www.b2byellowpages.com/compan...stics-inc.html