The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
azsnow

Throttle Linkage

I just bought an aftermarket throttle linkage from Classic Parts, and the holes on the pivot where it mounts to the firewall doesn't line up with my stock one, so I swapped it out. My issue is that I am running an Edelbrock carb, and the linkage seems to be positioned to far to the passenger side. I am worried about binding. Has anyone else had issues like this, and if so what did you do?
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Daze57

Re: Throttle Linkage

could you post a pict of the one you have now - i might be goin thru the same thing .
i am also runnin a edlebrock and am curious on what you got goin .thanks
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

I have found that the way it is put together when you get it is not the way it goes on the truck.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
azsnow

I have a guy sending me a pic tomorrow, I will post both pics as soon as I can! After I figure out how!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
Daze57

cool t y v v much !
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
azsnow

I recieved the pics from my buddie via text, and my linkage was assembled totally wrong. Once I get this fixed, I will post a pic, but I probably wont be able to do this until tuesday
Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
azsnow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37052379@N02/6496041005
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37052379@N02/6496040921/

Yeah I can't figure out why my pics wont show up, but here is the link to the original linkage on a 2bbl carb. I will be fixing mine in the next couple of days.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
azsnow

So I mounted the aftermarket pivot base today. I had to drill an extra hole in the firewall, bend the pivot point bracket, and put a spacer (bolt) behind it on one side. I thought this was supposed to fit but I guess not. Anyway, I ran into an old retired shop teacher who has the mechanical set up on his '65 El Camino. He is using Rod Ends with ball studs (p# 732-1131) he got from Napa on both ends, this reduces binding even further. I will get these tomorrow, and post pics when I am done.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
JumboAMONGus

i ran the aftermarket one on my 56 chevy truck with a 283 holley i had to bend the bracket and make an extra hole same as you did ,it workes fine but i found a original v8 on on ebay so im gonna swap it out ,,theres one on there now but 99 bucks is expensive
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
azsnow

I think you will have the same issue, aas these were originaly designed for the 2bbls carb. The linkage is more towards the center on those. I am getting the rod ends and ball studs tomorrow, and will post pics of the progress. Its such a cleaner and better operating setup as the rod ends act like ball bearings rather than a rid sliding back and forth in a plastic washer.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
azsnow

I have no idea what the issue is with my linkage. The piece that runs from the rod to the pedel seems to work fine if I don't plug it into the pedel, but when it is, it hits the floor and binds. I am trying one last thing before I ditch the whole works and just run a Lokar setup! Its not that I can't eventually figure this issue out, it's that it really isn't worth any more of my time. It seems that the pedel linkage piece should have been cast to operate the opposite way then it is, and flipping it over yields the same result on the other side of the rod! I am very displeased with this setup, and you would think that a part that is supposed to be stock, would fit and work like stock! Looking back on it, I could have spent $20 more for the Lokar setup than I have for this POS! BTW, any pics of the pedel linkage would be greatly appreciated as I have nothing to reference at this point.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
JumboAMONGus

mine was binding on the bellhousing when i went to push it in what i did was hooked it up loose and left a bolt out on the inside on the linkage and then pushed it in and out all atached untill it went smooth then thats where i poked the new hole ,for the bolt and then i bent in a vise the longe flat metal bar on the top and twisted it a little to line up for the carb rod ,,,, once you get it moving smooth threw floor then it sometimes wants to hit on the bolt where the bellhousing is plus mine was originally a 6 cyl, truck and they said the linkage is diffrent on the bolt pattern on firewall then a v8 truck ,
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
JumboAMONGus

[/IMG]
Old 12-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
JumboAMONGus

Old 12-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
JumboAMONGus

theres a couple of pics i took ,,you can see the original hole above the bolt and for the other bolt hole i tightend the one bolt down and then i moved it up and down untill it moved free on the gas pedal rod then i poked a hole with a metal punch and guessamated on where the hole was gonna be then i bent the flat bar part ,
Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
azsnow

Thanks for the pics! It helped, but my main issue is the rod that attaches to the pedel. Can you post a pic of it from behind your throttle, so I can see at what angle it curves, as there are two different bends in mine.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #17
JumboAMONGus

yes i will get a pic tomarrow my camera battery was going dead and the flash didnt work i have a pic of a stock throttle setup for v8 to pretty much same as aftermarket but the part that mounts to firewall is diffrent [/IMG]
Old 12-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #18
azsnow

Yours looks as if the flat rod is upside down compared to other set ups I have seen...perhaps thats the reason I am having issues!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
azsnow

Nevermind...its exactly like mine.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
azsnow

Ok, so today I messed with it for several hours before realizing that it is hitting the bellhousing, and I have no idea why! I didn't weld in the motor or trans mount, they were already there when I got the truck. I am going to go with the Lokar setup and get rid of this whole damn mess!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Daze57

i may have to do the same thing - stupid linkage
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #22
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The V8 firewall was shaped differently than a 6 cylinder from 57 up which is why some of you have troubles and some don't. As far as I know the after market one is for mounting a V8 in a six cylinder cab not replacing an original V8 linkage
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #23
azsnow

My truck was an original 6 cylinder, and just to get everything to line up it still needs modification, nevermind that it hits the bellhousing. If I raise or lower the linkage, it doesn't fit right in the pedal. I've spent hours and over $100 trying to fix this issue...Lokar all the way from now on!