The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
treefrog

Resistor-Dumb question

I pulled the heater/AC control to replace the fan switch. I also replaced the relay behind the glove box. Vendor said to replace the resistor at the same time. Where is it? Told you it was a dumb question. TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 09:21 AM   #2
Class of 69

I think they are the same part, just different names for it. If the relay you replaced is on top of the heater box with 2 orange, 1 yellow, and 1 light blue wires to it, then that IS the resistor, which is also a relay...it controls the fan speeds.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:37 AM   #3
treefrog

Relay

69 - The one behind the glove box was a sealed unit. It has 2 orange, one purple, 1 green, and a ground. If there are only 2 controls, the switch and the one I put in, then this is a third unit, no wonder I can't find it. Are there 2 controls or 3?
TF
Old 08-30-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Class of 69

Doesn't sound like the resistor that you replaced. I missed the fact that you had A/C. Yes, there a 3 controls with A/C. The resistor is on top of the heater box with just the wire connector showing. The actual resistor is inside, held in by 2 small screws. If this isn't enough help, I will take a pic when I get my lazy butt out to the shop.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:14 PM   #5
GMC Jim

There are 2 relays and 1 resistor pack used with the Chev/GMC Four seasons air conditioning system....The blower motor relay is up underneath next to the outside top right hand side of glovebox. This relay has 5 wires total. Black ( ground); Purple (to blower motor); Orange ( to fuse panel); Dark Blue ( to resistor pack) and another Orange (18 guage) (to control switch)
The anti-dieseling relay is located on back side of instrument panel ; just to the left of the heater/air cond control. relay activates the air cond. compressor when the ignition is turned off ( to prevent after-run. This relay has 3 wires; Orange ( to blower motor relay); Pink ( to control switch) and Dark Green ( to compressor switch. Note:- my 1971, 402 engine does not have this anti-dieseling relay... possible former owner removed as it did cause some problems, I understand.
The resistor pack is located within the lower duct work.. To access; remove the screw attaching the floor outlet duct to the firewall. Thenremove the screws attaching the air distribtion box to the heater case. Slide this portion of the box downward and out of the way letting it rest on the floor panel. You should see the wires going to the plug to the resistor pack. There are 3 wires ; Yellow ( to control switch); Dark Blue ( to blower motor relay) and Light Blue ( to control switch)
This info is from the GM service manual........... Jim ( Hope it helps ! )
Old 08-30-2003, 10:18 PM   #6
GMC Jim

TF.... There is really no need to replace the resistor pack....if the fan switch operates properly ; dropping the fan speed with each "click"....!!!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:25 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

And dropping the plenum is not really needed. I just replaced mine in the longhorn about 2 weeks ago.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 07:12 AM   #8
treefrog

I found it

I don't know how this got posted on 2 threads, advanced senior moment I suppose, but I'm dupicating the reply so as not to miss thanking you all for the help. From the drawing 5150 sent and the directions from Jim, it is now all over the floor.

I will hold the drawing in front of a mirror to reverse the image when I try to get it back together this afternoon. If I get it together and it works, its miracle time in Tennessee. Thanks again, TF