The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
BAMO

Exhaust Suggestions and Price

I need to puta new exhaust system into my truck. Stock 283 so nothing special there. Leaving the stock manifolds in place. Thinking though if running a dual exhaust straight out the back (since I need to redo it), rather than replicate the original configuration. Got a quote from a shop for about $400. So two questions.

1) Thoughts on the dual exhaust vs stock layout (truck's stance is largely going to remain stock if that makes a difference to anyone from the aesthetics).

2) Price - (Yes, I could do it myself, but by the time I get materials, bender, not to mention my time, thinking the price isn't "wrong"). Too high, good, etc...

Thanks in advance for the input.
BAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
510hpLs

Re: Exhaust Suggestions and Price

i own a exhaust shop in spokane washington so couple questions ???

what size of pipe were they going to use???
what type of muffler or mufflers ???
and were you going to have tips put on it and if so chrome or stainless steel ??? what kinda of pipe aluminized ???

$400 bucks is what I'd charge for a pair of flow II chamberd mufflers and dual exhaust with a chrome tips in 2 1/4 exhaust all the way out the back cutting a couple holes in the crossmember where it v's to keep all the exhaust tucked up nice and high just in case you decide to drop the truck in the furture

Duals is the way to go in my opion way better performance an sound !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 510hpLs; 01-05-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling
510hpLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
losthope

I had dual exhaust done on my classic car ran me $350 to go all the way out the back but i had them do straight pipes no mufflers. so id say $400 is about right...thats what i hope to pay....probably cost me more then that for all the extra pipe,couplers, and clamps id need just to figure out how to cut and splice it all the way to the back of the truck if i did it myself somethings i figure its just better to pay to have someone who knows what they are doing and do it well ,and have the right tools to do the job then struggle myself doing it.

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
HEI451
Account Suspended

I know there will be those that will say that what I do is just not needed, but I have proven it does, and is vital to making a dual exhaust system work right.

I always do one of two versions of the system. First is to run at least one cross over tube from one feed pipe to the other. Better yet, is TWO cross over pipes, one at the front of the feed pipes, the second, as close to the muffler inlets as possible. I haven't had a chance to go yet another idea I think will work, on my test 1973 V8 Vega, a third cross over tube behind the mufflers, but, in theory, it works. The dual cross overs are not just theory, they have proven they work extremely well for me, and other's vehicles I have set up that way.

The second is to run/make an "X" merged feed pipe. These have also proven to work extra special good.

My personal opinion, from 40 plus years of being directly involved/working within the design and development ends of both street driven, and road/drag racing automotve/motorcycle engine/drive train design, if you ask the muffler builder guy you are thinking of using, about cross over (or, "balance") tubes, and they give you the "you don't need one of those", or any other derivitive of that same nonsense, FIND AN EXHAUST PERSON THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS ABOUT HOW EXHAUST SYSTEMS WORK, AND, HOW TO PROPERLY BUILD THEM. Please, don't waste your time, and/or your extremely hard earned money on the ones that prove they have absolutely NO clue as to what works properly.
HEI451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
tkeduk8r

listen to HEI.... his words are as true as they come.... this is from a physics/engineering teacher that is a reformed(improved) auto tech teacher if that means anything....
--Mike
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
ruddbow

I have a 283, just installed simple glass pax, $350 including bellflowers. The bellflower is installed just for the pic. Will snug up to body after paint.
Attached Images

ruddbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
BAMO

Thanks for the info and confirmation on price. Thinking it's better just to have it done than deal with it myself. I'll check on the crossovers as well, thanks for that.
BAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
Oldgearz

On that kind of motor you only need one muffler. I would run 2 into one with 3" pipe leading to muffler with dual 2" outlets and run them how you like from there, either both on one side or separated. I had a 85 silverado back in the day w/the stock 305 and I ran stock manifolds w/3" pipe into a Gibson muffler w/dual outs on one side and it sounded deep without being loud. I believe at a shop it wound up costing me $300.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
rightpedal

Can't tell you what to do.... but here is mine. I provided the mufflers (summit fully welded 40 a piece) and paid $250 for the install. The pipe size is 2 1/4. We spent a lot of time getting it tucked up at the front end. I am going with dual tanks eventually and did not want the exhaust in the way. I am 90% happy but still think side pipes would have been cool. The motor is really quiet but I attribute that to the stocker 283. My blazer has the same mufflers with a medium warm 350 and is quite a bit louder.

Steve

69 blazer that is neglected and slowly sinking into my back yard.

62 Newport driver and all around fun car.

67 lemans / GTO ripoff
rightpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Narxoleptic Customs

On my 283 w stock manifolds, I ran 2 1/2" from the manifolds to a ypipe that runs into a 40 series flowmaster then dumped it. I like it. It was $150 in piping and $50 for the muffler from a friend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote