The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Paint scheme help/advice

65 Suburban / Laying Frame

We plan on going flat black with the suburban itself, we have Coy C5 flat black wheels.

Bumpers will be painted flat black as well. Need advise on painting the grille. We have a GMC grille going in, thinking Chrome would be the way to go however finding a chrome grille or a grille in good enough shape to have chromed seems not to be an easy task. So now we are considering just painting the grille. If we paint it flat black would be overkill i think so looking at other options. White I think would be too much contrast for my taste, possibly thinking of maybe a flat gun metal grey or something of the sort.

Ideas?
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
hopped up

Re: Paint scheme help/advice

i think black wouldnt look right. id do white or off white. a nice contrast really helps bring the car together. but id do the bumpers to match the grill
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
biohazardbill

you mean black grille or black burban?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

At one point my truck was all black. Even though it was gloss lacquer, after a while I just thought it was too much and looked boring.

I went back to white in the front both for appearance and for safety, because it can be seen for miles with the contrast of the white grille and bumper, and at the time I did a lot of driving on two lane roads.

I like the idea of gunmetal. I thought about doing my grille and bumper in high gloss metallic car paint. There are a variety of new cars that have some shade of that color to pick from. Not the harsh contrast of white, but enough color to bring out the details. Since my truck is flat now, I would still go for gloss on the bumpers and grille regardless of color. Like having chrome trim, having some shiny paint to compliment all that flat gives the overall appearance a little more zip.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
burbluv

Mark I think we need to see an evolutionary timeline of your truck. It is incredible how much it has changed! I really think you have somehow morphed into the perfect mix how it sits now.
Posted via Mobile Device
burbluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
gimmy 64

how about you have it powder coated the chrome.it looks shiny but not really chrome. i had a couple of place's quote me like $200 for grill and headlight covers
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Narxoleptic Customs

Gloss dark gun metal grill, front & rear bumper and area between the rear taillights... Maybe even the roof and wheels....
Posted via Mobile Device
Narxoleptic Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbluv View Post
Mark I think we need to see an evolutionary timeline of your truck. It is incredible how much it has changed! I really think you have somehow morphed into the perfect mix how it sits now.
Posted via Mobile Device
I sure could have saved a lot of effort and money if I knew how I wanted it to turn out in the first place. The truth is the journey has been an evolutionary education, and I’m just glad it got mostly finished before early retirement.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
biohazardbill

Hadnt thought about nor known about "Chrome Powder Coat" so I did a little research. I found an ATV forum that talked about it. Below is a pic of some springs that were redone a red chrome to match the wheel ring. Best part is the shop that did these springs is like 15 miles from my house I will go and talk with them Monday to see what they think they could pull off.