The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
luvbowties

Question Which protective cover for '66 stepside?

Need a cloth(?) cover for my '66 stepside shortbed. What types/brands of covers do you guys use? Need to park mine outside at times (in sun & rain, but no snow). I'd want something with the best protection for base/clear, non-metallic finish.
Also, as many suppliers do not show applications this old, what other and newer models will fit decently?
How about ideas for some kind of light/portable/non-scuffing 'stand' to support the fabric above the bed-level?
Thanks for advice.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Which protective cover for '66 stepside?

I bought mine from California Car Cover long ago. I chose the inside storage cover because the main purpose was to keep large amounts of dust off the new lacquer finish. It has held up very well, and fits the truck perfectly. Elastic tucks up under the bumpers and really holds it in place. CCC covers are expensive but in my opinion, they represent one of the few products where you actually get what you pay for. Post #3 on the following thread shows how it looks when installed:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...rnia+car+cover

There are probably some very good universal covers available at substantially less cost, I just don’t have any experience with them.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
luvbowties

Thanks for reply, markeb01. That cover looks to fit quite well. Went to mfg site--they have some nice choices, altho' expensive; yet if I think of my investment, it's reasonable for the protection they offer.
After researching, I've about decided to keep it indoors and move my S10 Blazer out into the elements:got more in the paint job on my '66 than total investment in Blazer!
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
purzell

Make sure you use the cable lock if you do get one. I could not believe it that mine was stolen, right off of the truck. They're not cheap either.
Posted via Mobile Device
purzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Thanks for reply, markeb01. That cover looks to fit quite well. Went to mfg site--they have some nice choices, altho' expensive; yet if I think of my investment, it's reasonable for the protection they offer.
After researching, I've about decided to keep it indoors and move my S10 Blazer out into the elements:got more in the paint job on my '66 than total investment in Blazer!
That's what we have to do as well. The newest car we own is a low mileage mint condition original owner 2003 Toyota we got from my mother. It has to sit outside all year so the truck can enjoy the comfort and protection offered by the garage.

Since the truck isn't used much in the winter, a few years ago I tried putting it in one of those "tent garages" shown in the photos linked above with the car cover. A very bad storm ripped the reinforced anchors out of the tent and tore all the nylon straps lose from the cyclone fencing. The entire structure was thrown upside down over the fence into the front yard. Unbelievably there was no damage to the truck, but with 20 years of investment it has stayed in the garage ever since.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote