The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
XtechX

Temp switch

I need some help selecting a temperature switch set up for my truck. I'm installing a *180 t stat in it, so I'm thinking I need a switch that will turn the fan on at about 195-200 and off at about 185. I can't seem to find one at Napa, does anyone have a part number for a switch that will work for me?
All the ones that Napa shows in there books, don't seem to show their statistics, just that it turns the fan on at say..*213. So it's hard to pick the right one. They don't seem to have ones that run in the range I want to run at. (They might, but they haven't found one in there books yet). The switch doesnt have to be a Napa part, so if anyone has a part number from another source, that would be great too. I've never tried to run an electric fan before so any suggestion or recomendations on getting this to work would also be helpful. Such as switch placement, wiring diagrams, guage sensor placement etc. Details==> (350 sbc .040 over with mild cam, flex-a-lite single fan attached to a stock radiator 1965 chevy lwb.)...Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Temp switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
I need some help selecting a temperature switch set up for my truck. I'm installing a *180 t stat in it, so I'm thinking I need a switch that will turn the fan on at about 195-200 and off at about 185. I can't seem to find one at Napa, does anyone have a part number for a switch that will work for me?
All the ones that Napa shows in there books, don't seem to show their statistics, just that it turns the fan on at say..*213. So it's hard to pick the right one. They don't seem to have ones that run in the range I want to run at. (They might, but they haven't found one in there books yet). The switch doesnt have to be a Napa part, so if anyone has a part number from another source, that would be great too. I've never tried to run an electric fan before so any suggestion or recomendations on getting this to work would also be helpful. Such as switch placement, wiring diagrams, guage sensor placement etc. Details==> (350 sbc .040 over with mild cam, flex-a-lite single fan attached to a stock radiator 1965 chevy lwb.)...Thanks
I think you may have to go to one of the aftermarket A/C companies to get a fan switch by temperature range. Here are a couple sold by Vintage Air:

11190-VUS 190 degree switch (on @ 192 off @ 182).
11205-VUR 205 degree switch (on @ 205 off @ 195)

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg74wc.pdf
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
XtechX

I wish they showed pricing in their online catalog. The *190 switch is what I need. ( I think). Do you have any other suggestions for how to cool my truck? Or am I on the right track?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
You won't find any from a parts store. Standard, Echlin, and the others don't make them that low. You can find them on eBay from $20 - $40.

You want to place the switch in the head or manifold. Not in the radiator or hoses. You can buy a basic kit for a fan ready to install so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. You should be able to get a kit with a switch for under $50.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
I wish they showed pricing in their online catalog. The *190 switch is what I need. ( I think). Do you have any other suggestions for how to cool my truck? Or am I on the right track?
I’m also running a Flex-A-Lite single fan on my truck against a 1958 Impala brass/copper radiator. It works adequately for where I live, but would not have the capacity for sitting in Arizona summer traffic. The radiator would probably be okay, but for a warmer climate I'd need either a dual fan setup or a shroud covering more of the radiator.

I’m still running the adjustable probe type sensor that inserts into the radiator fins. It has an adjustment knob on the shroud housing to set the on/off activation. I believe mine is dialed in to come on and go off about 185. I would have preferred the engine type switch, but the probe type is what came with the fan.

The only consideration I’ve read about concerning the engine mounted switch is in choice of location. Some people like them on the intake manifold (convenient) while others prefer the side of the cylinder head near the spark plugs. Using an outlet on the intake manifold may cause the fan to come on earlier, as soon as the coolant comes up to temperature. Cylinder head mounting may cause the fan to run longer, because the heads may retain more heat once they reach operating temperature. For a street engine I’m not sure it would really make much difference, other than potential difficulty in wire routing near the exhaust manifold.

In addition to radiator and fan & shroud capacity another point to consider if the engine runs hot in the summer is timing advance. More advance tends to make it run hotter, less advance – not so much.

For Vintage Air pricing you can always check Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-11190-VUS/
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
XtechX

What do you think of this switch/relay? Is this too hot of a switch? What T-stat would you run with it? I'm guessing a *190.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/210-Degree-F...item519db31253
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

There are a few companies that make electric fan wiring kits with relays and thermo switches. Painless is one that comes to mind, and they have 2 different temp range switches. I believe they have one that comes on at 185*. You should be able to buy the switch seperate if you need. You might check Summit Racing's website.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
64fleetside

Try Standard part # TS155-on @212 off @192 or TS158-on @200off@185, both 1/2 NPT thread. Closest I can find.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I’m also running a Flex-A-Lite single fan on my truck against a 1958 Impala brass/copper radiator. It works adequately for where I live, but would not have the capacity for sitting in Arizona summer traffic. The radiator would probably be okay, but for a warmer climate I'd need either a dual fan setup or a shroud covering more of the radiator.

I’m still running the adjustable probe type sensor that inserts into the radiator fins. It has an adjustment knob on the shroud housing to set the on/off activation. I believe mine is dialed in to come on and go off about 185. I would have preferred the engine type switch, but the probe type is what came with the fan.

The only consideration I’ve read about concerning the engine mounted switch is in choice of location. Some people like them on the intake manifold (convenient) while others prefer the side of the cylinder head near the spark plugs. Using an outlet on the intake manifold may cause the fan to come on earlier, as soon as the coolant comes up to temperature. Cylinder head mounting may cause the fan to run longer, because the heads may retain more heat once they reach operating temperature. For a street engine I’m not sure it would really make much difference, other than potential difficulty in wire routing near the exhaust manifold.

In addition to radiator and fan & shroud capacity another point to consider if the engine runs hot in the summer is timing advance. More advance tends to make it run hotter, less advance – not so much.

For Vintage Air pricing you can always check Summit Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-11190-VUS/
Flex fans do not move much air....plus they are prone to breaking
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
gofastnut

I think you can hit up a local Auto parts store that carries Four Seasons and look at their illustrated parts guide. Have you got a port in the radiator or the water neck to put a temp sensor/switch?
Four Seasons PN 35879, about $90
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345

Last edited by gofastnut; 02-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
MOTOIMPAIRED

In my Mustang I used a fan from a Ford Taurus, it has a high and low and moves some serious air. I have a over ride switch for the high speed but nerver have to use high except maybe in the staging lanes to cool it down quick. I used a temp switch that I bought from summit. The fan cost $25 bucks from a you pull it yard and it works awesome!!

[IMG][/IMG]
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspoke View Post
Flex fans do not move much air....plus they are prone to breaking
To better clarify, I'm assuming the Flex-A-Lite fan XtechX is using is the same single electric model with a built in shroud I'm running. The model name of mine is the “Black Magic”. These are conventional electric plastic models, not an engine mounted flex fan.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
XtechX

Yes, thats correct my fan is a single fan electric type. I couldnt tell you for sure what exact model it is beause it was taken off a parts truck. I found another switch/relay on ebay that I think may be even closer to what I am looking for.
Check this one out and let me know what you think........http://www.ebay.com/itm/190636247125...84.m1438.l2649