The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
62 Barnfind

Repo fenders, A good place to get them?

I need to replace my right front fender from rust and really dented in the front. What place has the best repo fenders? I have been reading treads about how some fenders don't line up and fit right. If someone could help me save some time and efforts that would be great! I have been buying from classic chevy trucks and their stuff has bee good but I haven't bought any fenders just patch pieces. I thought about Orange Truck shop. Anybody with Ideas?
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
k1rodeoboater

Re: Repo fenders, A good place to get them?

They are all made by one of 3 companies and it seems like luck of the lot number if they fit well or if the fit like crap
Posted via Mobile Device

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
duallyjams

How bad is you fender as I have read on here that some patch panels are being made in USA that fit correctly.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
k1rodeoboater

If I could do it again I would have repaired my oe fenders
Posted via Mobile Device

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
**grumpy**

You're in Texas! Us ohio guys buy good og sheetmetal that's brought up from down south. I bought a perfect, and I mean virgin original fender last yr from nevada for 180.

Id say look around down there for nice og parts.

That's my .02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
61K10

everybody bad mouths these repo fenders, and nobody ever answers the questions asked. somebody must be buying this junk if that's what it is. somebody that used the fenders start a thread. lets get some info we can use. you can fix anything for sure, but if you have to pay a bodyman (if you can't do it yourself)to add a patch panel and inner brace and skim coat it, it adds up quick $$$. SO who makes the best ones??

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
C-10cutty

I bought both LH and RH from Classic in 2010, fitted fine. No bends, dents, or scratches.
C-10cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
61K10

thats what i wanted to here. do you know the manufacturer? classic chevy truck parts? and thanks.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
chevyguys
I Got it BAD!

I purchased new left and right fenders for my 66 in October of last year. They are made by Counterpart and fit excellent. I have original inner fenders, core support and grill support. There are some very small gaps around the nose of the fenders where the grill support insert is spot welded to the fender. Many people complain about these gaps but don’t realize that many trucks from the factory had the gaps as well. My buddy has an all original 66 and the passenger side has a gap that is almost identical to my new repops. Quite honestly, I see no issues with these fenders. When they are bolted up they are solid, and fit excellent.

Now... To be honest I had the opportunity to open a few boxes of fenders before I purchased mine to compare quality. They were all different in some way or fashion. The gaps and spot welds were all a little different. I just picked the best pair.

The gentleman at the store I bought them from mentioned that some of the earlier versions of the Counterpart fenders, and some from other companies have thin sheet metal or the fender lip is not rolled up on the inside like the factory "U" instead they are just folded under like an "L".

The "U" type roll adds a huge amount of strength to the fender and makes them SOLID.

SO... I guess it best to try and buy them at a place that you can physically inspect them before you seal the deal.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Rich 5150 69

I believe there is only two manufacturers and two hundred vendors, so its a crap shoot, there was just a thread hear a week ago..
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
ChuckW

I got mine (66) from Brothers... They fit fine and with some "minor" adjustment they fit better then the originals. Don't know who the Mfg. was though... Sorry.
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
**grumpy**

Ok.
I looked at Summit Racing website and they list 2 brands.

One was Goodmark for 204. and I forget the other brand but it was 214.

I live 40 minutes from Summit so that plays a part because Id save on shipping.
I dont know how those prices compare to other places, and no experience with Goodmark.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
chevyguys
I Got it BAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by **grumpy** View Post
Ok.
I looked at Summit Racing website and they list 2 brands.

One was Goodmark for 204. and I forget the other brand but it was 214.

I live 40 minutes from Summit so that plays a part because Id save on shipping.
I dont know how those prices compare to other places, and no experience with Goodmark.
I think Summit drop ships those. I would call the store and verify they have them in stock.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
**grumpy**

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguys View Post
I think Summit drop ships those. I would call the store and verify they have them in stock.
Nope. The Ohio store has them in stock. I can drive there and get them tonight if I wanted to. 209.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
C-10cutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
thats what i wanted to here. do you know the manufacturer? classic chevy truck parts? and thanks.

Yes, Classic Chevy. Don't know the manufacturer but was happy with them.
C-10cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
62 Barnfind

Thanks for the response. I have been happy with classic chevy parts. I just finished welding in my right cab corner. I don't want to do those again. I can do the patch work but looking at my left fender I think i will need a front and rear patch. So if i have to do that I fell it would be better to replace both so they will match. Please check out my build tread 1962 c1o update. Again thanks for the feed back.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Again, there are only a few manufacturers of the parts, and a billion vendors. We can all name at least a 1/2 dozen without trying. The fenders are 'Counterpart'. I believe Goodmark uses them but could be wrong. Some vendors do pay to have specific parts manufactured and then they own the rights to these parts and may sell them to other vendors. I have used 2 of the aftermarket fenders, one nearly 8 years ago and it fit fine with only minor issues in fitment; you'll have that with even factory parts. I did replace the portion on front that ends up behind the grill because I did not like the stamping (used an original part and welded it in). On the latest fender, purchased 1 month ago, the issue with the stamping was not there although there will be minor fitment issues. I still like the factory parts better.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #18
Chevy Fleetside

This is the Co. Summit uses.. Well when I did the search this is what came up on the site.. $214 ea. It seems they make stuff here in the US and Asia... http://www.oerparts.com/

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
derail

I used the ones from classic parts also and I'm really happy with them. There was a little damage (a couple of dings) that I assume happened in shipping. Not a big deal. I just had to trim a little from around the top towards the cab. Again not a big deal. I can't remember what the manufacturer was on the side of the box, though. The cool thing was if you ordered 2 at the same time, you paid the same amount for shipping as you would have to just buy one. Mine have the same issues as everyone else's around the front. It was a trade off for me. I was running around with huge rust holes in the side of my old ones just like everyone else. So, imperfections here and there on the new ones are still way better than what I had. I know some guys will say you should just fix the old ones, and I agree to some extent. But the real question is, do you have the skills, tools, time, and a really good patch panel to do it? I thought about going this route and even bought a patch panel from Tabco. (made in usa) It was JUNK! I'll include a picture of the patch panel and let you decide for yourself. Aftermarket fenders are not as good as the originals. It has been well documented. But it's what we have to work with. I seriously doubt if ANY patch panel or aftermarket item is as good as the original, so you just have to take a chance on the vendor that most people have had decent luck with. The first 2 pics are the fenders as they arrived. The 3rd pic is the shipping damage. Pic 4 shows it hung on the truck. And pic 5 is the Tabco patch exactly as it arrived at my house. Just my two cents.
Attached Images

derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
62 Barnfind

Derail,
Thanks for the info. Just ordered both fenders left rocker panel and right door skin. The right side the previous owner hit a wire fence and was dented real bad. So new parts will save less body work. My cab and front end will be done except for the hood that I will have to start on soon. Here is some pics of the patch pane I replaced with classic parts. I still have to grind, smooth and primer.