The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

I relocated the rear shocks using an idea that member FrizzleFry came up with. I also fabbed up the rear fuel tank before painting the frame rails. I am using a 64-66 f#$d mustang tank. I relocated the rear crossmember and trimmed the top of the frame rails slightly for fit. Very little hang down with this set up. Completing the rear suspension build was a new adjustable track bar and new trailing arm bushings.
Attached Images

pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
pdxhall

At this point the front and rear ends are done except finishing up the brakes and installing the power steering gear. So I put the wheels back on and gave Sanity66 a breath of fresh air before the cab removal was started.
There's still some more catch up to do. To be continued.....
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
allaboutchevelles

Very nice looking truck, and what a good deal. It looks like a real nice solid truck. Your doing some nice work on it so far. Keep up the good work on it and keep the pics coming.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
66farmer

PDX

It looks like your doing a great job. I like the name (Sanity 66) when I'm working on my 66 I'm in my own world.

Keep up the good work
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Very nice looking truck, and what a good deal. It looks like a real nice solid truck. Your doing some nice work on it so far. Keep up the good work on it and keep the pics coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66farmer View Post
PDX

It looks like your doing a great job. I like the name (Sanity 66) when I'm working on my 66 I'm in my own world.

Keep up the good work
Thanks you guys, I have followed both of your builds and they have given me inspiration on mine. This is the first frame off build I've done and it can be a little overpowering at times so I get a lot of motivation watching your progress.

Continuing with my retrospective, my next step was to tear down the cab and get it off the frame. I built a cart of sorts to wheel the cab around in and got my son and a couple of his friends to help me lift the cab. I then started the cleanup of the remaining frame section, removed the trans crossmember, and ground the rivets off of the center crossmember but put a couple of bolts in it to hold it until I'm ready to either buy a new one or flip the old one. Could anyone tell me if there are any cons to just flipping the stock crossmember? I noticed that the astronaut was talking about this on his goldilocks build.
By now the weather was too cold to paint and still being unemployed I couldn't afford to buy anykind of heater so things slowed down quite a bit.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
pdxhall

Here are the cab rust issues I'm dealing with. Not too much really. The doors are solid, the rear cab corners are good. The outer rockers are not even too bad but The floor need some attention and a little on the kick panels on both sides. The air vent cover on the passenger side was actually the worst rust on the cab but I was able to get a replacement from one of our members 63sbssbbw. The deal he gave me went far and above what I would have expected and epitomized the good will that I find on this site all the time. Thanks again 63sbssbbw.
My original plan was to send out may cab and have somebody do it for me but after checking costs, weighing my financial position at the time, and seeing to many of you jumping in and doing it yourself with great results, I decided to give it a go. My Christmas present was a new MIG135 from Eastwood and I have been practicing this winter. I'm about ready to give it a go on the actual body panels.
Attached Images