The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
losthope

64 FORD horn on your truck !!!!!!!!!

Haha i knew that would get your attention, Well i got a box of parts that came with my 1966 truck and it had a horn in the box so im rewiring my truck and went to go fetch the horn so i can install it with the new wiring.
I went to the shed and looking through my different parts boxs from different cars, I came across the two horns from a rusted out 64 ford falcon i stripped and sent to the scrappers that was all stock.....I then found the box of parts for my truck....looking at the horns all three look to be the same(excpet there is a left and a right horn that was on the ford falcon).......I got out the wire brush and did a little scrubbing on the horn from the truck and the matching horn(passenger side) from the falcon are the exact same horn with "12v" stamped into the top of both of them and all the same castings/stamping and same place and style to hook the power wire too..the only thing different is the mounting brackets that screw to horn ...just seemed interesting????maybe ford and chevy outsourced their horns in the 60's or atleast 64-66???

or maybe my chevy just has a ford horn?or maybe 64 ford falcons have chevy truck horns!!

I searched "horn" in the search function but didnt find any clear pictures or a thread specific to horns.....

does our trucks only have 1 horn or am i missing one?

I was thinking of hooking up a left and a right horn and testing the three horns i have and see if they have different tones, maybe the horn will be louder....

was thinking if they are the same( if i have the right horn that came with my truck) is that if someone is missing the horn they might be able to find one on a 60's ford.....

maybe someone can shed some light on the horns??

heres some pictures!

top horn is what came with my truck and the two lower horns are from the falcon:

the horns all have the same "12v" stamping in the top and same hook up for power:

and the undersides are the same exact stamping/casting the only difference is the mounting bracket:

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: 64 FORD horn on your truck !!!!!!!!!

It’s likely the horns were produced by someone like Delco for example, and sold to different vehicle manufacturers. Sometimes the specifications would be identical, other times one brand would require something different just to make it unique. On a horn the pitch or frequency might be different. I have 1956 Dodge passenger car horns on my truck, and they look very similar to your photos but they sound completely different from GM horns.

I discovered cross brand parts sharing back in the early 70’s when I pulled a beautifully sculptured emergency brake handle out of a 1950 Oldsmobile 98. It was a work of art compared to the ugly 54 Chevy handle. Sometime later, I discovered the same exact handle was standard on all 55-57 T-Birds!

And back in the 60’s I believe 1 horn was standard on Chevy and GMC trucks. If you wanted the compatible second note horn that cost extra. The additional horn may have been included in an upgrade option like deluxe cab trim for example.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
losthope

Thanks mark!
I figured it might have been a supplier of horns, im gonna do some testing and check out if they have different tones and most likely run two,maybe both of the falcon ones because most likely they are different tones like on my other ford car...interesting stuff about the e-brake!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
oem4me

Your horns don't look like Chevy horns. I'll guess they are all ford horns. I'm not an expert, but most Delco horns of that vintage look quite similar, with the mounting brackets being the only major visible difference. Also, I think pairs of horns might be mirror images of each other, not exactly the same. One would have a high note, the other low. Around the perimeter are are a few flat bosses where three digit numbers are stamped indicating what note and specific vehicle application.

Last edited by oem4me; 03-21-2012 at 11:36 AM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote