The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
jasonpickett

Has anyone used a heater like this?

I have a 50 chevy truck and don't have a heater. I know I will eventually need to get one when I put the interior back together. I just figured I would get my info now. I was wondering if anyone used a heater like this? If so what are good/bad opinions? Or what owuld you recommend? Any info would be appreciated. To be honest if I could just get away with defrost I would just do that because I don't use heat but I know the wife wants it.

Thanks,
Jason

Name:  $(KGrHqFHJB8E8fMw-NvNBPKD5+i6-g~~60_12.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqJHJCoE8fjPphjeBPNz,3OR+g~~60_58.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqNHJB8E8fJI0J3)BPNzbGWk1!~~60_58.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  18.3 KB
jasonpickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: Has anyone used a heater like this?

Check into what you can get the inside kit from Vintage Air or Old Air for pricewise. It might be closer to the price of a plain heater than you think. It would give you heat and blendable defrost, looks good and you can add the a/c parts later.

I thought I would be driving my truck before spring and that's what I did, but now looks like I'll need the A/C by the time I'm driving it.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
mixermike

i used something similar in my 57. i got it from summit racing.it called a MOJAVE heater.the install was easy enough and price was good.the wife likes it but i think it overkill for a small cab. i installed a ball valve in the heater hose so i could shut off water flow to the heater in the warmer weather.bottom line is i think its a great heater just more than i need. hope that helps
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
mr48chev

That should work like you want it to if you tuck it up out of the way. You can put a cable controlled valve in the line to shut the water flow off or cut the heat level down to where you want it.

I drive my hotrods and pickup way too much to not want a good heater. To get over to see my sister who lives in the same city as Mixermike I have to cross a 4000ft high pass where the temp can be down in the 40's in the middle of the summer at times. A guy can always turn the heater off but why freeze your butt off just to say you are too cool to want a heater? Or maybe it's because at 65 I'm not near as hardy against the cold as I was when I was 35.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Dunenutt
Newbee

I had the mojave heater in a jeep, with the plenum box for the defroster. It would heat a CJ with a soft top very well, in low teens.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-640/?rtype=10

Not familliar with the one you posted though.
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
jasonpickett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Check into what you can get the inside kit from Vintage Air or Old Air for pricewise. It might be closer to the price of a plain heater than you think. It would give you heat and blendable defrost, looks good and you can add the a/c parts later.

I thought I would be driving my truck before spring and that's what I did, but now looks like I'll need the A/C by the time I'm driving it.
I will check vintage air. If I install I def know I would like to be able to replace just the heater core if it goes out. So I am going to call around also to see if they would offer one with a off the shelf heater core.

Jason
Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
code4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpickett View Post
I have a 50 chevy truck and don't have a heater. I know I will eventually need to get one when I put the interior back together. I just figured I would get my info now. I was wondering if anyone used a heater like this? If so what are good/bad opinions? Or what owuld you recommend? Any info would be appreciated. To be honest if I could just get away with defrost I would just do that because I don't use heat but I know the wife wants it.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachment 891362

Attachment 891363

Attachment 891364

I have that exact heater, it's laying in a pile of junk somewhere because that is what it is. It is suppose to blow through the hose for defrost when you close those doors on the side. It doesn't; not even a little. I got the summit racing heater, it puts out 10x the heat.
code4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
jasonpickett

Quote:
Originally Posted by code4 View Post
I have that exact heater, it's laying in a pile of junk somewhere because that is what it is. It is suppose to blow through the hose for defrost when you close those doors on the side. It doesn't; not even a little. I got the summit racing heater, it puts out 10x the heat.
Thanks for the advice. I looked in summit last night and seen that. I was wondering if it looks like you can replace the heater core.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
coralhead

Have you looked into getting a stock heater? Fits up as designed and has defrost when needed.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
code4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpickett View Post
Thanks for the advice. I looked in summit last night and seen that. I was wondering if it looks like you can replace the heater core.
I didn't even think of that. I got the one for 160.00, it's the 24k btu without the vent setup. I just mounted it on the trans tunnel. Wow does it put out the heat & the cfm of the fan is outstanding. I don't have defrost though.
code4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
jasonpickett

Quote:
Originally Posted by code4 View Post
I didn't even think of that. I got the one for 160.00, it's the 24k btu without the vent setup. I just mounted it on the trans tunnel. Wow does it put out the heat & the cfm of the fan is outstanding. I don't have defrost though.
This is the one I was thinking about. It look like you can run the defrost hoses. Also look like the heater core may be replaceable.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991106/?rtype=10
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
GMtrucknut!!

I used the exact heater you have pictured in a fiberglass bodied CJ-5 with a new top and very little air leaks. It was horrible, a good bic lighter on high flame put out more heat and the defrost was non-existant . It was a waste of money.
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
jasonpickett

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMtrucknut!! View Post
I used the exact heater you have pictured in a fiberglass bodied CJ-5 with a new top and very little air leaks. It was horrible, a good bic lighter on high flame put out more heat and the defrost was non-existant . It was a waste of money.
The pic or the link.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Maximus

I bought the same heater in the first post, but haven't used it. I was going to use it on my 55 2nd, but after I swapped cabs from small window to big window, I thought since I have the deluxe cab I should have the deluxe heater... and pieced together the deluxe heater. I will be most likely be using this heater in my '39 chevy coupe or a 1930's pickup I have planned on a 1933 Chevy Sedan frame I bought, its VERY simple, and seems effective, but I have only had it out of the box for about 10 minutes, and it went back on the shelf for another day...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
GMtrucknut!!

it was the first heater that you had pictured
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote