The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
mydogearl

How to sell?

Hey guys. Long time lurker and decided to join. Owner of '90 and '89 K1500's and a '58 Apache "hybrid." This doesn't seem to be a searchable question so I figured I would ask you guys. I bought my '58 8 or 9 years ago tore it down, started working on it, then the typical life things strolled along and I havent worked on it in forever and am looking into selling it. I am wondering if I should sell it all together or possibly part it out? I am looking to get best value whether through cash or trade and am not desperate to sell it, I just wouldnt mind the garage space or maybe a new toy that I could use right now.

This is what I've got, without making this sound like a classified: It's a 58 truck but sitting on a 79 or 80 Blazer 4x4 frame. The body is in pretty descent shape except for the front fenders, I think they would need a minor miracle. As far as I can tell, the stepside bed is good except for the wood. One doors window is good, other is bad. Rear glass is good. Front glass isn't too bad, it has a maybe 6 inch crack in lower left corner that runs off each edge so it shouldnt spread. When purchased, it came with a bunch, if not all, weather stripping, brand new chrome front bumper, grill, and headlight rings.

Now for the blazer half: 350 with a turbo 400. It has very clean eagle alloy wheels with 35" mudders (one being 100%, one 90% and two probably 75 or 80%.

The truck did run and everything mechanical worked as it should before tearing it down. I tore it down it, cleaned the frame up the best I could for an amateur and repainted it black and havent done jack since so it has sit in the garage collecting dust for a few years now. I understand every situation is different, but giving this info would I get the most value out of the truck by parting it or selling/trading it all together. I'm not going to take a huge hit on it because I'll just let it sit and maybe get to it later, I am just wanting to explore some options.
mydogearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Maximus

Re: How to sell?

Honestly, you would make more parting it out. I have bought several non-running trucks, complete for less than 1k., used what I needed and made my money back in selling off the parts.

These trucks (in my experience) are not worth a great deal when they don't run. However I could be wrong. there are also other HUGE factors that affect price,
Big window/Small window (a bare cab can go from being worth $150 to being woth $650)
Bed (stepside/fleetside, long/short)

A shorbed fleetside bed alone in good condition could probably fetch $1000

One of the biggest factors of value in California, is whether there is a clean/clear title, No title, just sell her for parts in my neck of the woods, but it really depends on how much your in on the truck, and what your looking to get back out of it. It may/may not be worth spending 2 or 3 weekends bolting it back together, who knows... maybe you will find yourself enjoying it and get back into building it.

I would sit on it and build it...

but then your in a specific forum that has a biased love for these trucks and most of us wouldn't even consider getting rid of our projects.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote