The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
rynophiliac

What blue is this?

Does anyone know what blue this blazer is in this youtube video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzHRI...2-hKSnzJwM8%3D

It looks like it has to be B5 blue, chrysler intense blue pearl or maybe even viper blue? Maybe the body guys here will know?

It is the nicest color I have seen on a blazer yet and would like to paint my blazer in it.
rynophiliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
71RestoRod

Re: What blue is this?

Sure looks like the stock dark blue metalic, PPG 508.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
rynophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod View Post
Sure looks like the stock dark blue metalic, PPG 508.
Hey 71RestoRod, is that the same blue that your blazer is painted in? Does yours have a little bit of pearl in it? The blazer in the youtube video looks like it has a bit of pearl in it. Your truck is very nicely done by the way. Do you have a build thread? I would like to read it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
jonesky2

Bump
jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
71RestoRod

Yup. It's painted w/ PPG 508 Dark Blue Metallic. Sometimes you see it called 508 Dark Blue Poly. It's kind of a chameleon with the metallic in it. Depending on the angle of the light, it can look either light or dark.

Thanks for the props. There's a link to build photos in my sig. but no build thread so to speak. Been too long... built it back in the "Blazer-Net" days.

I'm sure your local paint supplier would be glad to paint a couple of test cards for you. That way you can look at the real color outside, next to other cars you like, etc.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
rynophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RestoRod View Post
Yup. It's painted w/ PPG 508 Dark Blue Metallic. Sometimes you see it called 508 Dark Blue Poly. It's kind of a chameleon with the metallic in it. Depending on the angle of the light, it can look either light or dark.

Thanks for the props. There's a link to build photos in my sig. but no build thread so to speak. Been too long... built it back in the "Blazer-Net" days.

I'm sure your local paint supplier would be glad to paint a couple of test cards for you. That way you can look at the real color outside, next to other cars you like, etc.

Hey 71 RestoRod, what size lift and tires are you running? It looks like the perfect size combo, not too tall and not too small.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
71RestoRod

The wheels are 16"x8" with LT305/70R16 M/T tires. It's basically a 33" tire on a 16" wheel. The 16" wheels have a little more backspace so the tires tuck nicely under the wheel arch in the front. Rear springs are 4" Tuff Country and the front are custom Anson with ORD shackles to give ~4".

The rear end is 3" wider than stock (to match the front width). This has a lot to do with the "look". You could use wheel spacers to achieve the same effect in the rear. I don't think the spacers are necessarily dangerous but I'm not real fond of them.

As luck would have it, I'm in need of a new set of tires. I have a nice set of vintage Anson-style 15" slots that I've been saving for the day, and I'm toying with putting on the truck, but I'm worried about the 15x12.5-33" sticking out too far. I guess I'll clean up the rims and have a couple of tires mounted for a test fit... we'll see how it goes. If you like retro you gotta love the slots!!!