The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
B_Hix

A couple questions - Input appreciated

Hi everyone. After 7 (long) years I'm statring to get into the small stuff now, focusing on my interior and getting my front skins done and put on.

1 - Floor Mats. For those of you fortuant enough to be done with your trucks - has anyone found a good source for floor mats for the 49 year group? I was going some google searches, trying to come up with a place that does custom floor mats - after all the work I'd rather not toss a couple 'generic' rubber mats in the floor - has anyone found mats that fit well, or eve a source for custom mats?

2. Door Sound Deadner. I was looking into what sound deadner to use on the doors and found a video that recommended using a spray on the inside of the door and deadner mat on the outside - have any of you doubled up like this? Is it worth the time and money? I'd have to gut my doors to do a good job with the spray - not averse to doing it if it makes a noticable difference.

Seems that dynamat and 'fatmat' are the big names in the game for material - any specific recommendations or insight? This stuff ain't cheap so I want to make sure I get a quality product.

3. Is this what I think it is? I was looking at my catalog and came across this - http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/..._Replaces.html

Does this go at the bottom of the grille, above the bumper? If so my truck didnt have one of these on it - what's the purpose? Sorry to be nieve, but like I say, I didnt have one of these on my truck and it was fine - will spend the money to get one if really necessary...

Thanks for any input!
B_Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
fredscarryall

Re: A couple questions - Input appreciated

my upholstery guy said he would make floor mats out of the same stuff my carpet is made out of.as far as the spray inside the door.i would like to do that but i dont want to cut up my doors to spray it in.dyno mat is awesome. but it may be a little thick for the for the door panels.i went to lowes and used a product call peel and seal.it come in 6 inch by 25 foot rolls for $16.00.only thing peel and seal is not that sticky unless it 70 degrees or higher.but you just hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun to make it sticky.once you get peel and seal or dynomat on, it will never come off. here are pics of the lower grille support.i had to notch mine for a custom radiator.looks like chevs of the 40s make them infiberglass,i would try to find a metal one
Attached Images

fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
B_Hix

Thats good infor Fred - thank you for taking the time.

I bought a 1-peice carpet from LMC (which fit very nicely), so I don't have any extra material for making mats, but if I turn it over to a upholsterer for the door panels and headline that's a good thought. My truck is red/black and also uses a charcoal grey in the interior, so was hoping to have some mats made that use those colors - maybe black with grey trim and a red chevy symbol or something.

If I can't find a source for customs I'll turn to a upholsterer.

Sound Mat for doors - that's why these forums are awesome I would not have thought of the material you used as an alternative, but yea, I was concerend about the thickness of the stuff I used on my floor and have never used dynamat or fatmat so was unsure of width.

My doors have 'access panels' cut out of them, one box on the left, one on the right - made it much easier getting the power window stuff in, so access for the spray isn't that big of a deal. Maybe subconciously I was hoping to hear 'nah it's not worth it' - cause I'll have to take all that hardware out

About that grill support - all I can say is "I'll be d__m" - had no idea something went there till I thumbed the catalog. I thought I was done buying peices, lol *sigh*

Nice job with yours, btw. I'll probably have to modify one as well because I'm using a custom 4-row mustang II radiator - it's a lot thicker and a little shorter than the originals.

Anyone else have any sources for custom floor mats for a 49?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
booger1949

i sprayed the inside of my doors an it don no good at all, but i did use the peel an stick an it workd great, just make sure to install it on a hot day an let the doors warm up an work that peel an stick real good into the door r it will all fall down, it happened to me an it sucked
booger1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
B_Hix

^^ good input thank you.

Found these guys for custom floor mats: http://www.matworks.com/detail.aspx?ID=155

For sound proofing I'm thinking I may try this product from Eastwood:

Last edited by B_Hix; 03-24-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
jimig1

I'm using lizard skin for heat and sound. Since it is only .040" – .060" thick. If it can stay in the 60's here I hope to spray it soon.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
B_Hix

I have heard nothing but good things about Lizard Skin - I'm thinking when I start my car this summer it'll get a Lizard Skin floor/truck coating.

I guess you need a special gun for it - I have bought two guns already for my truck, so in order to avoid robbing one fund for another gun I'll hold off on it for the truck.

I'm thinking for my truck I'll go ahead and put a few strips of mat inside the doors like they did in the Eastwood video.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
jimig1

I bought 4 gallons and a gun for $330 on ebay it was the best deal i could find when I bought it.
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
oldcouple

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511370