The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
watchn

Canadian gmc truck vin trouble

I've looked around the internet trying to find vin decoders for my Canadian GMC truck. I have an old document that says its a 51 but from the vin decoders (hard to understand) that i have found, say its a 49. So if one of u guys could help me out and break this down for me. I would appreciate it.

Model 9433
trim 394
paint 930
body ser 251
watchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Canadian gmc truck vin trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchn View Post
I've looked around the internet trying to find vin decoders for my Canadian GMC truck. I have an old document that says its a 51 but from the vin decoders (hard to understand) that i have found, say its a 49. So if one of u guys could help me out and break this down for me. I would appreciate it.

Model 9433
trim 394
paint 930
body ser 251
(9)1949 (9)GMC (4)9433 (1Ton) (3)137" WB, (3)Cab. the rest are the production numbers. (05551)

Looks likes it was a 1 ton cab and chassis off the line
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
watchn

Thanks alot dave, I thought it was a 49. Not sure why this owner document would say 51 on it. Maybe at that time they didnt have the database and just went off the word of the owner. Thanks again.
watchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
jetnow1

Many old farm trucks were not registered until they needed to be- often years later.
they were then either registered as to the year of registration- ie it was first registration
for that vehicle or registered by the memory of the person doing it- ie I think it is a 51
as the paperwork had long been filed away. Not that uncommon. If the government is
willing to accept it let sleeping dogs lie......
jetnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
mr48chev

Some states and probably some provinces titled the vehicle as per the year it was first registered in. There is the slim chance that it sat on a lot for over a year before being sold and if you have a clear title to the truck that all the numbers match on I'd go with that.

Some places keep the complete history of vehicle titles on file from day one and add to that file every time the vehicle is sold while others just keep the current info and you might be able to check on it's history that way. You would have to find the right person at the Manitoba DMV who was willing to do the research though.

Basically tell them that you are "restoring" the truck and would like to know it's history back to the original dealer that first sold it if it is obtainable. I'm not sure what Canada's privacy rules are but if they have the info on record they can probably tell when it was first registered.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote