The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
MyDream55

New Truk

Hello all,

I recently picked up a 1956 Stepside. I have always wanted a 55-57 Chevy Pickup and I finally got it. I know my username is MyDream55 but I set up the account before I did some extensive research on the truck (and I don't know how to change it as I've tried). I found out it is a 56 and the title was an error.

The truck has a 350 motor with a 3 speed on the floor, a 2 year old paint job, new tires and rims, seat re-done, and interior was also painted about 2 years ago. It needs minor fixes like the gauges don't work but I started on those and now have a gas gauge and the speedometer working. I got the truck by trading the guy my 2000 Chevy Silverado. The Silverado had about 120,000 miles on it and we traded straight up. I figured that truck was only going to depreciate as the 56 will only appreciate. What do you guys think? Great looking trucks on here by the way.

By the way, I was working on a 66 ford f100 and trying to rebuild that. It has now been removed from the garage and in the side yard..lol. I got a good deal on it so I figured I would take it and rebuild it. Now I have my dream truck and need to figure out what to do with the ford.. haha

MyDream55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: New Truk

nice looking truck you have
it amazes me what kind of iron you guys in the southwest can get.
good trade up from the 2000 chevy

what running gear?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
MyDream55

Ogre,

Not sure what running gear I have. I think it is the stock from what I can tell. How can I verify? I just got it last week so I haven't looked in to the gearing or anything yet. I know the previous owner told me I may want to change out the rear-end if I wanted a 4 speed or something.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
jimig1

very nice!
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
my55chevie

Nice truck. Good to see another nm member!!
Posted via Mobile Device
my55chevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Kim57

Welcome.
Nice looking truck.
Kim
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
55Cameo

Really nice looking truck, great starting point for sure. Def a good trade lol!!!
55Cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Daze57

very nice truck
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Coupeguy2001

that looks like 6 cyl. hood ornament.
To try to find out what the engine is, look on the block in front of the right cylinder head and get the numbers off the block. If it has not been decked, the numbers will tell you what it is .
Look at the vin number on the left front door frame. If the number begins with a V it was a V8 truck when new.
If the frame has never been cut, there will be a duplicate number on the top of the frame rail on the left side just forward of the steering box. They should match.
it probably was a 6, check to see if the engine has "feet" on the front of the frame on either side of the timing cover for motor mounts. If they are there, and riveted onto the frame, not bolted, then it was definitely a v8 truck. If they are not there, it was a 6.
Usually, the front license plate on the 55-57 models was on the right hand side partially blocking the grille. The license plates mounted on the bumper were from 58-59. Check the front splash panel right behind the bumper on the right hand side for 2 holes on the front edge.
Nice truck though, very straight. And a big window as well. Good trade.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 04-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
MyDream55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
that looks like 6 cyl. hood ornament.
To try to find out what the engine is, look on the block in front of the right cylinder head and get the numbers off the block. If it has not been decked, the numbers will tell you what it is .
Look at the vin number on the left front door frame. If the number begins with a V it was a V8 truck when new.
If the frame has never been cut, there will be a duplicate number on the top of the frame rail on the left side just forward of the steering box. They should match.
it probably was a 6, check to see if the engine has "feet" on the front of the frame on either side of the timing cover for motor mounts. If they are there, and riveted onto the frame, not bolted, then it was definitely a v8 truck. If they are not there, it was a 6.
Usually, the front license plate on the 55-57 models was on the right hand side partially blocking the grille. The license plates mounted on the bumper were from 58-59. Check the front splash panel right behind the bumper on the right hand side for 2 holes on the front edge.
Nice truck though, very straight. And a big window as well. Good trade.
Coupe-

Thanks for the info. I did verify the frame and the cab match. That I made sure of before doing the trade. As for the motor, I know its a 350. I was asking Ogre about the rear-end identification. I'm not too familiar with rear-ends as I have not messed with any before. I would like to get a 4-speed for the 350. Does this mean I would have to change out the rear-end as well?

Also, the Vin does not start with a V. I have looked in to it and it says it was originally a 3200. Not sure if the bed got replaced. The vin starts off with 3B56K which doesn't seem to be a V8 originally.

Again thanks for all your help and looking forward to being on this forum pretty often.