The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Matt300ZXT

Can you use OEM parts to get 6 lug front disc brakes?

I know you can get Speedways kit to use stock calipers and rotors from later model GM cars to make your AD truck a front disc brake truck, but can you piece together OEM parts like that but still have 6 lug? Does someone make a bracket that allows you to use the same caliper as the other kits, but with a 6 lug rotor or something? The reason I ask if I may keep it 6 lug as I may not have the money to convert to a later model rear which already has 5 lug axles on it, and I don't want mismatched lug patterns just to get front disc.
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
RBear571

Re: Can you use OEM parts to get 6 lug front disc brakes?

Buffalo Ent. makes a kit using Ford rotors to keep the stock 6 lug pattern, I called him a few months ago about it and he's a real nice guy. I chose a different manufacture and used 5 lugs in the front, I didn't have the time to wait for two months on Buffalo but his stuff is raved about as being top notch.
RBear571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
xaircav

Classic Performance Products sells a six lug disc brake conversion and provides calipers, hardware and 12" diameter 1.25" thick rotors. You have to re- use the hub from the drums.
xaircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Matt300ZXT

Yeah, I know about that kit, but it's like $350, was trying to see if they made a kit where I could get some just brackets and then some used rotors and calipers, but oh well. I've started tossing around the idea of seeing if the rear axles can be safely redrilled to 5x4.75, then I could still use my stock driveline and axle, and then put the kit Speedway sells on the front and source my own calipers and rotors to save a few bucks.
Matt300ZXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
yossarian19

So, what OEM parts can be combined with a disc bracket to yield 6 lug front discs?
I'll suck it up and buy a kit if need be but I'd rather save some $$ and source parts of a known quality if I can.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
mr48chev

The mid 70's Chev/GMC 4x4 1/2 tons have removable disks that have a slightly larger center hole than the AD and Taskforce hubs have. That would mean you would have to have rings made to center the rotor on the hub. Caliper choice would be what fits the brackets. Right now I don't know of anyone making caliper brackets that you can buy by themselves and not as part of a kit but they could be made and maybe even fabbed from bolt on brackets off some rig.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote