The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
PDDET

Blazer blues

I'm the proud original owner of a 1987 S-10 Blazer. Because of my close proximity to my job at the time, I drove her, at the most, 3,000 miles a year.

When I changed jobs, and had to actually start taking her out on the road, things started failing from old age. Even after dropping in a new engine, it's been an ongoing battle.

Now it's the brake indicator. It comes on when I start it up and stays on for the next 20 minutes. Then it goes out. Sometimes just hitting the brakes brings it back. Other times, it comes back with nothing required of me. The brakes feel fine, but I'm concerned that something else might be getting ready to go.

Is this light something I should be concerned about?

If something is on the way out, are parts still available or should I start thinking about cutting my losses?
PDDET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Blazer blues

I'd pull the wheels and check the brakes. Is the master cylinder reservoir full? Follow all the brake lines through the frame and look for rust/seepage. It's a warning light and if it's working properly it's telling you to check out your brakes. I'm sure it's no big deal to fix whatever it is and certainly work fixing and going for it after putting a new engine in.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
PDDET

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciated it. I took it to my regular mechanic who, after accepting nearly $10,000 from me over the last 4 years, advised me to give it up and buy something new. After much deliberation, I've decided to follow his advice. The old girl goes up for sale next week. I'm hoping to find someone with the time and resources to keep her going.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Nothinghead

That's too bad. did he give you an idea on what the issue with the brake light was?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
PDDET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinghead View Post
That's too bad. did he give you an idea on what the issue with the brake light was?
It's the proportioning valve. It was replaced just a couple of years ago and has already gone bad. It kills me to have to do this, but we had a good long run. The next step will be to put up a sign down at the station and hope for the best.