The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
vintage_car

I'm tired of the window gaps on my '48

so I have a 48 chevy/s10 swap. both windows sort of just bang around when they are rolled up. I have cardboard wedging them in the windshield channel so they don't bang around to much. Neither window rolls all the way up, there is a bit of a gap at the very top. there is some gap at the back of the windows too. the window regulators are not new and maybe there is a way to adjust them to close the gap at the top so the window rolls all the way into the top channel? as for the side to side motion of the window just rattling around, is there something that prevents this that might have either rusted off or been removed? The truck has PLENTY of patina on it, so any suggestions to fix the issues would help. It will not be a restored truck, so alternative fixes are okay, but the window must still function.
Attached Images

Last edited by vintage_car; 04-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: I'm tired of the window gaps on my '48

First order an assembly manual then order weather strips and 'whiskers'.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
vintage_car

can you tell me where the "whiskers" are in this pciture from LMC?
I have the non-vent style windows, so I'm not sure If I need part number 6 or 7 in the picture. part 7 has a division bar felt insert (is that the "whiskers" you speak of?)

the other part that I do not have is number 5, which I must assume is different from Part #1 of the glass and frame kit.

I did not see any window weatherstripping on LMC? so if it does exist, I'd like to know where to get that at.
Attached Images

vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
quigman

The whiskers are the 8,9 parts. I would look at the adustment of the window regulator first though. You might be able to adjust it enough to rotate the window into the right location. I would then order the whiskers and the window run channel felts,#6. These parts will cure the rattles and are pretty cheap.
quigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
mr48chev

I think 38-5988 is what you are most likely needing. That is the channel that the glass goes on plus the anti rattle pieces.

You can usually get/order the glass channel at the local glass shop and fit it to the truck.

From my experiences I'd say that the channel you have in there has the felt worn out .

I looked in the little book that I paid a bit too much for on Ebay that is a reproduction of a manual for servicing 47/48 Cabs and while it does have some valuable things in it it doesn't say a thing about getting the door glass adjusted right.

Are any of the rollers bad on the regulator? Are any of the regulator arms bent?
Is the channel that runs inside the door horizontally straight and not sprung or broken loose?
Over the years these things start hanging up due to worn felt and parts that need lubrication and get sprung or broken.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote