The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
wilberweb

55 chevy filler question

Hi, guys I have a question on body filler.
I am working on my fire wall filling all the holes.
and sanding like crazy trying to make every thing look as good as possible. Its a lot of work.My question is do any guys that do body work professionally work this hard on making the filler look just as good in places that cant be seen.
I.E behind a heater core or under a dashes.Places that can't be seen, or do you just fill it sand it a little and call it good.The reason I am asking its a lot of sanding and fussing over filler that wont be seen. I just thought I would ask I don't want to spend valuable time, and this much work, when I can move on to something else and spend more time on filling and making the panels that can be seen look better.

Thanks
-Larry
Attached Images

wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 55 chevy filler question

It's only hours and sweat to get it perfect with very little expense but you will always know that you did a shortcut and it isn't as perfect as you could get it if you don't finish it off the best you can get it. And where a stock firewall can have an imperfection or two and look good one that has been smoothed will have it's flaws stick out like a sore thumb and wave that thumb at anyone who looks under the hood.

30 years after I redid my truck and painted it the red that it currently is in the avatar I still remember where every flaw from taking a short cut was/is.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
OrrieG

I spend a lot of time reminding myself that my truck will be a daily driver and stuff I fret over will probably not be noticed. That being said I probably have 12 hours in plastic and sanding on my firewall, and it is still not perfect, but OK for a driver. Depends on your end goal; 100 point show queen, beater driver or somewhere in between. I get crap all the time about my survivor 64 Chevelle with the worn upholstry, faded paint and visible rust holes. I just asked them what they drive or are working on. Usually they are just spectators. The folks that work on their own rigs get it and give me the thumbs up and tell me what great shape its in.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

If you are talking about the inside of your firewall as in the second pic, that area will be permanetly covered with a firewall cover and heater or a/c. It's not like anyone will ever see it so I don't see any benefit to spending time and money to put filler on it. On the inside of my firewall I just smoothed the welds where I had patched holes and undercoated it, and then put a formed ABS cover on it. I recommend and ABS cover, btw. It comes with thick jute insulation and looks great.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
wilberweb

Hi, all thanks for the reply.
I agree with you on all the points you made.I would kick my self for taking short cuts. I know it would always bug me if I didn't make it perfect.
This truck is going to be between a driver and a local car show truck.
not like the trucking magazine trucks you see.Some day maybe, but for now I am trying to get it on the road for a daily driver mostly to work and back.
The floor section gets covered with carpet, so I may skip on that finish.
but as far as the fire wall the part you can see when you open the hood I plan on getting that part perfect.

Thanks for the advise.

-Larry
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
wilberweb

Russell.
I agree I filled the welds with filler just to cover them.
Its behind the ac unit, its going to be a vintage cool unit so it will cover that section. I plan on a firewall ABS. Also the carpet comes up under the firewall at least half way.
Thats Kind of my thoughts that time spent on sanding to make everything smooth as glass on sections that will be covered up is a lot of prep time.

-Larry
Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
mr48chev

Yep you have the right idea. make it good but it doesn't have to be perfect where you are covering it with carpet or padding. I'd still use something to seal it good though including going through the steps of etching primer and a coat of paint even if it is spray can just to seal the metal from any moisture that may get in.

I agree with the others in that most negative comments don't come from your fellow truckers or car folks but the spectators who don't own a enthusiast vehicle of any sort feel that when they pay their spectator fee it comes with the authority to pick the vehicles in the show apart and show their "expertise". And the more they look like extras on Swamp People the more comments they have.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Red Foreman

Quote:
I agree with the others in that most negative comments don't come from your fellow truckers or car folks but the spectators who don't own a enthusiast vehicle of any sort feel that when they pay their spectator fee it comes with the authority to pick the vehicles in the show apart and show their "expertise". And the more they look like extras on Swamp People the more comments they have.
Its interesting how similar we are around the world, we're in autumn here in Australia and the car show scene is slowly coming to an end, until september 'our spring' were its fires up again.
My point is we have the same type of people negatively commenting on vehicles at shows when all they have to there name is a daiwoo or kia??

Larry, nice work so far, make that firewall look good, your nearly there!

My Build 56 GMC
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486721
Red Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
_Ogre

i don't do body work unprofessionally but know people that do, they were the ones that said ''you going to leave it like that?''.
wait until you hit it with primer and block sand the firewall, you'll realize that you have just begun...

while i rarely go to shows, but when i work on truk, it sure is nice to open my hood and see this

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
bfink

i look at it it this way .....ive got WAY more time than i have money so why not put in a little more time while im waiting on the money ! your firewalls looking good though , im in the process of filling about 80+ holes in mine , i wish mine was as far along as yours
bfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
1project2many

Spent 3 years and a million hours working over panels on my truck. Yep... I know where I coulda done better, too. I used to feel so bad about it I'd point out the mistakes but after seeing plenty of issues with "professional" cars I just let it be what it be. One of the first comments I got on the truck... "Nice, but is there any Bondo in it?" What??!! You don't get a 40+ yr old truck straight without filler. I said "No. I don't use that brand." Then I got to hear a 45 minute lecture about how I shoulda used lead including stories of the legendary "old guy" (he's been dead / missing / lost for years) who could hand build an entire truck out of a single steel panel and never used any filler other than a few old lead fishing sinkers. Sheesh. Mr. Expert couldn't have recognized a flat tire let alone pick out the areas I had used lead.

Spend the time with the firewall. As you get better you'll be able to judge the quality of the repair better and you'll know what's acceptable and what's not so good. But in the beginning you need to work 3x as hard as you think you should to get it right and you'll still find plenty of unexpected "gotchas" along the way. I was lucky enough to get lessons from an old body guy when I was young. "Wax on, wax off" type stuff beginning with wet sanding. I can remember just how many times I had to redo that first car because my eyes and hands just weren't trained to notice issues. Spend the time now and you'll appreciate it later.

And for reference, a "professional" is someone who gets paid to do what an amatuer does for free. Being paid to do a job does not mean the job is done better. Professionals have to earn an income and will generally set a bar for how far they'll go during repairs. You are building a truck to your standards and have the ability to say "I'll have to spend more, but I'm going to do it right."

HTH
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Lightbulb Re: 55 chevy filler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post

And for reference, a "professional" is someone who gets paid to do what an amatuer does for free. Being paid to do a job does not mean the job is done better.HTH
Couldn't agree more. We WANT to believe "you get what you pay for" but the truth is you frequently do NOT get what you paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
....You are building a truck to your standards and have the ability to say "I'll have to spend more, but I'm going to do it right."
I respectfully suggest you build it to please yourself and disregard what anyone else says about your work...including most of us! Unless there is someone's work here that you truly admire and want to emulate, just please yourself. Just my $.02...and it's worth both of those pennies!!😃
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote