The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
bundeber

Johnny Cash Tribute Truck

Because it's a 67-68-69-70-72-74 chevy/gmc.

I've had this truck for almost 10 years now. Long story short, my dad had a 72 one ton that was turned into a car hauler. We hauled enduro cars and stock cars all over southern MN with it. I have always like the body style, and finally am going to get to finish my own.

I moved to Wyoming after college to get job experience as a teacher with plans to move back to MN and get a job. In the meantime I found two of these trucks, one a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a hammered body, and a nice 1/2 ton 2wd with a great body. Between the two of them I planned one truck. However in the meantime, my fiance cheated on me and I decided to stay in wyoming, unfortunately I already towed both trucks to MN. That summer I committed to doing most of the body work, and pickled all my fresh work in a coat of good primer and single stage paint with hardener. There it's sat for 9 years.

I got the go ahead from my wife to spend 6 weeks in MN finishing the truck. I've begun collecting parts and pieces to put it together. I already have a mid 70's front differential with disc brakes for it. I have a 1974 350 4 bolt main engine with about 15,000 miles on it to put in it. I'll rebuild it this summer just to make sure it's good to go, and put hard seats in the heads. I'm planning an nv4500 and 241 tcase (passenger side drop) for drivetrain. They're already in MN. My dad has a transmission shop in MN, so I have all the tools I need to make this happen. Which is good considering I only have 6 weeks to do it all.

I've always liked the 67-68 trim, and lo and behold, last week 67cheby decided to sell his. I've started polishing it up, and that's about all I'll be able to do until I get back to MN in June. So I figured I'd document that part of the process anyway.
bundeber is offline   Reply With Quote